well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Great Resignation
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great Resignation
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Great Resignation Is Accelerating

A lasting effect of this pandemic will be a revolution in worker expectations.

An Atlantic piece. No paywall to read on MSN.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...elerating/ar-AAPyxTK

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Seems to follow that they will move to the left.
But that is too sensible.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
[QUOTE] The Great Resignation Is Accelerating

A lasting effect of this pandemic will be a revolution in worker expectations.

very interesting to watch.

I read that there will be supply chain problems for quite some time. Even if they get the vaccines under control as far as wide distribution, the tolerances built to current vaccines made more possible by the unvaxxed minority will make getting people safe on a large scale a bigger problem.

We had something like 63.6% labor force participation pre-COVID and now have something like 62.9% and that's enough to throw everyhing into a tizzy. Just a minor net change but wow look at how it's throwing things.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read that there will be supply chain problems for quite some time

Yep, that's what I've been reading as well. Sigh.

I've also read about the idea that one way that "inflation" is manifesting now is not only with rising prices, but also with a decline in service (lack of availability, longer wait times, lower quality service) and this aspect is much, much harder to measure.

I just feel like we still have a very bumpy ride ahead of us.... :/

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18597 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
I read that there will be supply chain problems for quite some time

Yep, that's what I've been reading as well. Sigh.

I've also read about the idea that one way that "inflation" is manifesting now is not only with rising prices, but also with a decline in service (lack of availability, longer wait times, lower quality service) and this aspect is much, much harder to measure.

I just feel like we still have a very bumpy ride ahead of us.... :/

The word is that the most popular gift item at Christmas will be gift cards.

Posts: 45764 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are legitimate supply chain issues but I think this is at least in part a bit of a media feeding frenzy and unnecessary panic on the part of the public.

"Product shortages for Christmas!!! You won't be able to get your favorite X!!! OMG!!!

We are used to basically unfettered access to exactly what we want, when we want it. We have to remember that everyone will survive if Junior doesn't get an Xbox this Christmas.

The country needs to ChillPill a bit.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I think there are supply chain issues for obvious reasons. Presuming the easily checkable tales of container ships waiting offshore to be unloaded is true, we have factual evidence for them.

However, I have also read that many of the photographs of empty shelves that we are seeing are being circulated posted by trolls and that they were not taken within even the past year. Many were supposedly not even taken in this country.

I have personally only seen a few empty spaces here and there on shelves where one brand is missing. I have seen such things before the pandemic. Am I seeing them more often now? Not enough that I can say for sure.

I'm only one person in one town smack in the middle of the country but, sad to say, I feel better in taking the pulse of the country by asking individuals I trust what they are seeing in their towns than I do in believing what social media or even traditional media tell me about how things are. (That makes this forum the perfect place to try to take the pulse of things.)

It does not make me comfortable about the state of our media or our democracy that I feel this way.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15519 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I suppose we'll all find out when Black Friday gets here in a month. If there are supply chain issues, Black Friday will be very different than it's been in the past.

I do recall seeing one email from a major online distributor of electronics (Adorama) warning that there would be supply chain issues at Christmas, and apologizing for inventory delays in advance.

Posts: 45764 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's no Great Resignation?

quote:
Some say the labor market is in a "Great Resignation," but that term is wide of the mark, economist Daniel Alpert said.

Most unfilled are in low-paying sectors with mediocre wage growth, Alpert's Jobs Quality Index found.

Alpert also found that workers' cash piles will run out soon, and hiring will rebound in a matter of weeks.

https://www.businessinsider.co...rtage-alpert-2021-10

Guess we'll find out if he's right....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Lots of supply chain issues in tech, especially computer chip manufacturing.

I'm on month 4 waiting for a docking station from Dell. I know Toyota has reduced its global output estimates by 40% for Q4 due to lack of computer chips most of their cars need and local supplier slowdowns due to COVID. There are likely others.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Not talking durable goods. On food and the usual household items, my recent trips to the local grocery stores, Walmart, and Costco have not reveal any sign on supply shortage.

OK, there is this seaweed snack that was temporarily out of stock in Costco for maybe two or three weeks, but it has since been restocked. Shrug

As for the "great resignation", the employment statistics are still net gains on jobs. So on the aggregate the "great hiring" still outpaces the "great resignation", no?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12698 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

The word is that the most popular gift item at Christmas will be gift cards.

This is the year that my years long scaling back on Xmas is paying off..expectations are reasonable and gifts I am giving are those that are hand made, cooked or vintage.

No need to worry about crap from China for me!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Lots of supply chain issues in tech, especially computer chip manufacturing.

I'm on month 4 waiting for a docking station from Dell. I know Toyota has reduced its global output estimates by 40% for Q4 due to lack of computer chips most of their cars need and local supplier slowdowns due to COVID. There are likely others.

Is it a very special docking station? I ordered one with my new laptop in September, it showed up in 2 weeks, which was 2 weeks before my laptop arrived, also early.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Number of people quitting their jobs hits new high in September

Many are reevaluating their life and work in the wake of the pandemic.

https://abcnews.go.com/Busines...er/story?id=81130405

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Supply chain problems are real, not made up by trolls. Supply chain problems don't usually show up as empty shelves at Home Depot or the local grocery store, and I would easily believe that St. Petersburg trolls are quite capable of taking real supply issues and exaggerating them to foment discord.

Supply issues are generated by so many factors beyond lazy longshoremen at the port of LA. China's economy is changing. Production locations are moving. And surging demand for certain products and services plays a role.

Transitory issues affect different industries at different times ... chips here, Canadian lumber there, and yes, container pricing and availability too does affect the cost of lots of things from Asia that used to be instantly available.

I was talking with a rug merchant in Santa Fe in October who regaled me with tales of how hard it is to get a shipment of rugs from Afghanistan these days. What a shock! Of course, his floor was full of existing stock seemingly sufficient to last for months if not years. And if he needs to develop new arrangements in Uzbekistan or Kirghizistan, that's what will happen ... over time.

There is also a busy increase in demand for services like rebuilding rooms in your house. The instant availability of every necessary part at bottom floor pricing may be changing. Jobs may take a little longer, and cost will rise at least for a while. And if your job is small, you may have to get in the queue behind larger jobs that pay the builder more.

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post