well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Atlanta, Tasers, and Mayor Bottoms
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta, Tasers, and Mayor Bottoms
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Oh come on, if I got drunk off my ass and fell asleep in a drive thru line causing enough disruption that the restaurant called the cops, they’d give me a break because I was white?

I got an actual dui conviction in my early 20s being a lot less disruptive than that.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
But he wasn’t out of range when he shot it, at least not in any way that would be obvious to the cop. So again, you’re effectively saying ‘a cop needs to smile and say cheese when the pero aims the taser’. Really, that’s your standard.
he was out of range when he shot it. Based on my read of the video.

But even if he wasn’t, once he shot, you see a lot of distance open up between them as the cop slows and draws his weapon.

That is the point at which you assess the force: what was happening when the force was used? You had a guy running full out with his back turned, and an officer definitely out of taser range.

No threat justifying deadly force.

Posts: 19758 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh come on, if I got drunk off my ass and fell asleep in a drive thru line causing enough disruption that the restaurant called the cops, they’d give me a break because I was white?

I got an actual dui conviction in my early 20s being a lot less disruptive than that.

He didn’t look or sound drunk off his ass to me.

No, I do not think you would be arrested. I don’t think most well run agencies would want their officers to make that arrest, either. Not when you have the alternative of parking the car, citing, and letting him walk. Now, if they ran him and saw prior drunk driving, that’s different.

Are you really going to tell us all that your white skin doesn’t advantage you in police encounters?

Posts: 19758 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
We’ll never know, Jon.

Cause the cop would never have decided to arrest you in the first place.

I can tell you the real reason we’ll never know, Cindy. When I was Mr Brook’s age and failed my roadside sobriety test and the cop cuffed me (all of which happened), I cooperated.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you really going to tell us all that your white skin doesn’t advantage you in police encounters?

The data suggest that white skin makes a suspect more likely to get shot by a cop while unarmed but less likely to get rough treatment of a lesser sort (‘hands on’) than a black suspect.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
a cop should knowingly accept a taser hit without pulling his weapon”. I mean, you gotta own that

I already pretty much said exactly that, did you miss it?

But again, more than that, Mr. Brooks was running away, with a “weapon” that becomes quickly useless the further away you get.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18386 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I did miss it

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
One more point, Jon.

What we really have here is retaliatory force. The officer shot in retaliation for this guy having shot a taser at him. The cop knew he was at no risk from the taser once the darts missed and once the distance increased.

He was just mad.

I’m not sure about your stats on cops shooting so many unarmed white people. Do you have a cite? Shoot don’t shoot studies show that officers are slower to shoot an armed white person, and quicker to shoot an unarmed black person.

I’m sorry the Wendy’s burned, but, well. It seems the only way to get the attention of our leaders is to burn something. I don’t condone it, but I understand it.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jon, this was a few pages back.
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Do cops have to take a taze?

Yes. If we're going to let them get away with tasing people to extent that they do, then yes.

Having said that, this is not the main question for me.

This is the main question for me:
quote:
we've traditionally allowed cops to escalate force to whatever point necessary to subdue their attacker *if* they or another person are facing imminent threat of death or severe injury.

Someone who is running away is not an imminent threat.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18386 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Roland Fryer at Harvard has spent years studying it.

The popular press reports it the other way around but they’re comparing police shootings to overall population rather than criminal population.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I watched the video..I saw a man's survival instincts kick in..he was impaired..He was very far from officers by the time they fired.

They could have just let him run..they had his car! It was no surprise who he was..they could have let him run it out, sober up and get back to him later. And that they chose this even NOW shows horrible judgement.

Shooting a man (in the back) while running for his life because he was drunk? NOT good enough...So where do you draw the line? Do you shoot when your registration is expired? Cause you barf on the cops shoes?

What is the line here? Where has the line for justifiable force gone?

I am old enough to remember the honor a cop had when they retired...They would brag about how they had NEVER discharged their weapon during their entire career...

Fear based training has a part in this.

My blood is burning.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:

The popular press reports it the other way around but they’re comparing police shootings to overall population rather than criminal population.
you realize that who is deemed the criminal population is itself soaked in racism, right? That there has been selective enforcement in policing for decades? If you patrol black areas, harass black peoples, and criminalize black drugs but not white drugs, the measure you are using is already tainted.

You can’t measure racism using a yardstick dipped in racism.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shooting a man (in the back) while running for his life because he was drunk?

I never get these types of comments. He was shot because he assaulted the officers and shot his taser at them. Whatever one thinks of the justification, the causal chain is pretty clear.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Shooting a man (in the back) while running for his life because he was drunk?

I never get these types of comments. He was shot because he assaulted the officers and shot his taser at them. Whatever one thinks of the justification, the causal chain is pretty clear.

Wow..Did you watch the video? He pointed it from far way (didn't really point but hold his hand out backward as he fled) but I did not see it fire..He was well far from causing harm to the cops. And it was a tazer, NOT a gun.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

you realize that who is deemed the criminal population is itself soaked in racism, right? That there has been selective enforcement in policing for decades? If you patrol black areas, harass black peoples, and criminalize black drugs but not white drugs, the measure you are using is already tainted.

You can’t measure racism using a yardstick dipped in racism.

Of course, but some numbers are more trustworthy than others.

I would never compare drug bust rates across racial categories, for example. No question black kids in bed stuy get more marajuana busts than the white kids in Scarsdale.

But murder and other violent crime? Those you can confidently compare, since they are not ignored in any community (even if the crimes aren’t solved, we know they’re counted).

So yeah, those numbers are pretty trustworthy.