well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How advertisers label you (and other privacy stuff)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How advertisers label you (and other privacy stuff)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
From “Heavy Purchasers” of Pregnancy Tests to the Depression-Prone: We Found 650,000 Ways Advertisers Label You

A spreadsheet on ad platform Xandr’s website revealed a massive collection of “audience segments” used to target consumers based on highly specific, sometimes intimate information and inferences

https://themarkup.org/privacy/...dvertisers-label-you

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Companies that you likely have never heard of are hawking access to the location history on your mobile phone. An estimated $12 billion market, the location data industry has many players: collectors, aggregators, marketplaces, and location intelligence firms, all of which boast about the scale and precision of the data that they’ve amassed.

Location firm Near describes itself as “The World’s Largest Dataset of People’s Behavior in the Real-World,” with data representing “1.6B people across 44 countries.” Mobilewalla boasts “40+ Countries, 1.9B+ Devices, 50B Mobile Signals Daily, 5+ Years of Data.” X-Mode’s website claims its data covers “25%+ of the Adult U.S. population monthly.”

quote:
Occasionally, stories illuminate just how invasive this industry can be. In 2020, Motherboard reported that X-Mode, a company that collects location data through apps, was collecting data from Muslim prayer apps and selling it to military contractors. The Wall Street Journal also reported in 2020 that Venntel, a location data provider, was selling location data to federal agencies for immigration enforcement.

A Catholic news outlet also used location data from a data vendor to out a priest who had frequented gay bars, though it’s still unknown what company sold that information.

https://themarkup.org/privacy/...phones-location-data

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wild!

I have to think this industry is a colossal waste of money/resources. I block ads everywhere and never click on the few that do get through. Junk mail never passes the threshold and calls from unknown callers/spam risk don’t get picked up. I think most people do this.

OTOH is costs almost nothing to collect this data and probably less to buy it so maybe it’s a good make-work job creator.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34993 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The ads don't worry me either. Like you, I have most of them blocked.

The collection and sale of location tracking data is pretty damn scary.

I also don't believe that I'm totally immune to being manipulated through the information that is presented to me. It's getting harder and harder to get a full picture of a lot of things. The more they know about you, the more likely they are to fool you. They know which buttons to push.

Bazootiehead-in-training