well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Move over omicron. Hello BQ.1.1

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Move over omicron. Hello BQ.1.1
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
BQ.1.1 is among the most immune-evasive COVID variants yet. It’s coming in hot in the U.S.

Omicron spawn BQ.1 and its offspring—the highly immune-evasive BQ.1.1—are coming in hot in the U.S.

quote:
BQ.1.1 is surging in New York, considered by experts to be a "bellwether" state due to its volume of incoming international travelers and robust sequencing capabilities. It's also rising in European countries like Germany, where Oktoberfest celebrations may have served as super-spreader events.

Along with XBB—a combination of two Omicron strains spiking in Singapore and Bangladesh—BQ.1.1 is thought to be the most immune-evasive new variant, according to Dr. Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research and founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute.

BQ.1.1's extreme immune evasiveness "sets it up to be the principal driver of the next U.S. wave in the weeks ahead," Topol tweeted Friday.

On Thursday, he told Fortune that scientists won't know to what extent it challenge vaccines, if it does, until it reaches 30%-50% of cases somewhere.

"It's not going to wipe out vaccine efficacy, but it could but a dent in protection against hospitalizations and death," he said.

BQ.1.1 is already known to escape antibody immunity, rendering useless monoclonal antibody treatments used in high-risk individuals with COVID. According to a study last month out of Peking University’s Biomedical Pioneering Innovation Center in China, BQ.1.1 escapes immunity from Bebtelovimab, the last monoclonal antibody drug effective on all variants, as well as Evusheld, which works on some. Along with variants CA.1 and XBB, BQ.1.1 could lead to more severe symptoms, the authors wrote.

BQ.1.1 is one of two variants, including XBB, Topol says should be granted new Greek letter names, like Pi or Rho, because they differ enough from BA.5, the strain they derived from. He also said he would have assigned a Greek letter to BA.5, which was significantly distinct from ancestors BA.1 and BA.2.

The good news, if there is any, about BQ.1 and BQ.1.1 is that new Omicron boosters will "almost certainly" provide "some" protection against them because they were designed to tackle close relative BA.5, Fauci told CBS on Friday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...4ff7884e127c16079123

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
It's nice that the Omicron boosters are apt to be "some" effective against this new variant, but I wonder whether the bivalent vaccine will altogether protect against it. If I understand right, it protects against Omicron and a previous strain, but it's not clear (at least, to me) how effective it will be against this variant.

It was formulated against Omicron and that other strain (yes, I've forgotten the name) but that doesn't mean it's also protective against this new (two new?) variant.

Frankly, it's getting hard for me to keep track of how many there are. It would be too bad if the bivalent vaccine already needed to be tweaked although I guess that's the inevitable wave of the future.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And what about how it responds to Paxlovid? The article says the first new variant resists monoclonal antibodies, but so far no word about Paxlovid.

You'd think they'd have been able to tell even at this early stage.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post