well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Get Vaccinated Or Else: Extreme Edition

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Vaccinated Or Else: Extreme Edition
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Presumably Ms Lutali is also refusing to accept any of the other vaccines or life style changes routinely required for transplants.

“Patients may be required to receive vaccinations including hepatitis B, MMR and others,” the [hospital] spokesman told the paper in an email. “Patients may also be required to avoid alcohol, stop smoking, or prove they will be able to continue taking their anti-rejection medications long after their transplant surgery.”

I'd have to say I'm in agreement with the hospital on this.

Jon, were you asked to have vaccines or make other changes to your lifestyle? I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, but I've always assumed these types of pre-transplant requirements were routine so I thought I'd ask someone who knows.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
She is refusing for religious reasons.

From an NPR article:

quote:
In Conway, Ark., Matt Troup, CEO of Conway Regional Health System, has granted 45 religious exemptions to employees who refused to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Their objections were largely based on the employees' beliefs that vaccines that used fetal cells in research, testing or production should not be put in their bodies.

(Public health officials say fetal cell lines developed decades ago in the laboratory were used to develop and test the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines — a common practice in pharmaceutical research. Other fetal cell lines are being used in the production of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. But the vaccines themselves do not contain any fetal cells.)

Before granting the religious exemptions, Troup sent the employees a list of 28 commonly used medicines that also used fetal cells in their research, testing or development — a list that includes Tylenol, Motrin, Tums, Ex-Lax and other medicine cabinet staples. He asked employees to attest to not be using any of those medicines.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/28...t-be-easy-heres-whyf

There's a copy of the list in the article. I wonder how many people claiming the exemption really know about all those other (common) medicines.

Based on all the other things that are required of transplant patients, I'd say requiring the COVID vaccine is a totally reasonable request on the part of the hospital and its transplant program.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37981 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Religious exemptions are WAAAAY overused, in my opinion. They seem to be the "I can do what I want" card that gets overplayed in America.

I think each should go through a similar process that was required by conscientious objector applicants by the military.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7558 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post