well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Vaccine missionary - how to...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vaccine missionary - how to...
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
"We don’t need better vaccine messaging on social media. We need a grassroots movement of vaccine evangelists — people who lovingly share the gospel of Pfizer and Moderna.

I know because I am a former fundamentalist, the daughter of a Baptist minister who could preach the socks off any book in the Bible. He was that good.

What my father taught me about evangelism applies to the current problem: how to proselytize the unvaccinated, many of whom are evangelicals and whose hesitancy stems from their fundamentalist take on COVID-19. "

https://www.huffpost.com/entry...f3ece4b0ff60bf7bbd50

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, but somehow all this relationship-building and hand-holding wasn't necessary for our parents in the 1940s and 50s.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Yes, but somehow all this relationship-building and hand-holding wasn't necessary for our parents in the 1940s and 50s.

I think you may be correct, and it leads to very interesting lines of questioning.

Were fundamentalists/evangelicals less closed-minded about things like that in the past? In other words, did they reserve their fundamentalism for Sunday and for more overtly religious issues about personal salvation?

Is this a function of the 1970s and the move of fundamentalism from the religious sphere to the political? We know that this movement started earlier, of course. The Scopes Trial was in the 1920s in response to Darwinism's encroachment, but maybe that was exceptional.

How much of this reflects a feeling of power today, relative to powerlessness and acknowledged backwardness in earlier years? Has the hillbilly ethos moved from a defensive crouch into an offensive posture? Flexible its muscles now that a political party has become single-mindedly aligned with its social and cultural views in ways not imaginable in the middle of the 20th century?

All questions I'm not qualified to answer, of course.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

I think you may be correct, and it leads to very interesting lines of questioning.

Were fundamentalists/evangelicals less closed-minded about things like that in the past? In other words, did they reserve their fundamentalism for Sunday and for more overtly religious issues about personal salvation?

Is this a function of the 1970s and the move of fundamentalism from the religious sphere to the political? We know that this movement started earlier, of course. The Scopes Trial was in the 1920s in response to Darwinism's encroachment, but maybe that was exceptional.

How much of this reflects a feeling of power today, relative to powerlessness and acknowledged backwardness in earlier years? Has the hillbilly ethos moved from a defensive crouch into an offensive posture? Flexible its muscles now that a political party has become single-mindedly aligned with its social and cultural views in ways not imaginable in the middle of the 20th century?

All questions I'm not qualified to answer, of course.

Maybe related to the change in media, the elimination of the Fairness Doctrine, and the ability to partake (in massive doses) in an echo chamber of misinformation that confirms what one wants to believe?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post