well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Next Car--your suggestions please
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next Car--your suggestions please
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I think you need to actually sit in the car models to see if you like them first! When I was shopping for my Subie in 2016, the Impreza seats were fine, but the Legacy seats weren’t comfortable.

Not a lot of inventory right now, so you might want to wait if you can. My friend couldn’t wait. Her car died. She just bought a 2023 Kia Sportage.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Middle Sphinx just bought a used CX5 Mazda. It’s great, but she had to pay a fortune.

My mini is 7 years old and I would love a new car. Gotta wait . . .

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
My 2012 Subaru Outback is approaching 250,000 miles and the only non-routine maintenance has been a brake job. It is lower to the ground than the Forester and I think handles much better. Easily the best car I’ve owned and if I outlive it I will get another.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice and opinions, everyone! PJ, as it happens, the closest Costco deal for the Toyota model we want is in Bremerton. But Costco warned me they may not be willing to sell to someone outside their area because cars are in such short supply.

We are currently driving a 2005 Honda CRV and the seats are torture for me. My 2004 Silverado 2500 is uncomfortable on dirt roads I suspect because of the old suspension (?)

So we are fine for around town and short trips, but driving down to warmer climes for the winter, or escaping to the ocean during fire season are just not doable with our present rigs.

I've never owned a new car and I had a very effective system for buying the perfect used car, but in the current market, that system won't work.

Mr Pique is retiring this fall and we would like to do road trips, but if we have to, we can wait.

I thought it was possible to order the exact vehicle you want online, and then they build it for you--is that not true?

I don't mind waiting a few months for it to arrive, so long as I know I'm getting exactly what I want.

BeeLady,I wonder if your Toyota dealer has much in stock these days?

When buying used, I hone in on the exact make, model, year, mileage range, and then I seek out a one-owner car, I take it to be inspected thoroughly by a mechanic I trust. I dicker with the seller if necessary based on what the mechanic finds.

You can see why this won't work. And I'm not willing to end up with unknown problems, especially at the prices used cars are going for these days. I'm seeing prices on three year old Toyotas that surpass MSRP on new.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
As for the different preferences--the reason I would go for a Forester over an Outback is the higher ground clearance. We drive a lot of rutted Forest Service roads. Plus I like the firmer seats and the more utilitarian feel. I've driven quite a few Outbacks and I prefer the stiffer handling of the Forester.

Every Honda I've ever sat in has killed my back. Since I now have been diagnosed with some severe spinal issues, a supportive and ergonomic seat is critical for me. If my spine gets irritated the neuropathy in my legs goes crazy and I can't walk. It's that serious.

I'd love to test drive everything before I buy it, but there isn't any inventory to drive. I'm going on past experience. So I'm grateful to hear about your seat experiences with newer models.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Originally I was focused on a very specific iteration of the RAV4. But then I looked at Consumer Reports and they dinged this car for poor handling and some other things.

CU's top rated car for 2022 is the Subaru Forester, and it has the highest safety rating.

I then read an article saying that the 2022 Forester isn't selling, because it is the only crossover that doesn't have a hybrid version and everyone wants a hybrid.

This was making me think that in the next month there could be 2022 Forester inventory dealers are trying to dump.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about Subarus, but Ford and GM will build cars to order. I’m not sure what the pricing looks like.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
A realistic look at a modern Subaru Crosstrek off-road capabilities.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure you will be able to do any haggling for those two models. We bought a Rav4 Hybrid Prime a year ago (hard to believe it's been a year) just as the chip shortage was starting, and had virtually no haggle room as they had others literally lurking in the showroom to buy the car in case we backed out.

That said, Steve's comment about chip availability improving, and 2023 models right around the corner makes sense. That might give you some space.

We bought through Costco one time, when we got the new model Honda minivan (Odyssey), as it was hard to get. The way our thing worked: the guy hauls out his huge list of inventory, you tell him what you want (color, engine, type, add-ons, etc.) and he scans the list, finds a match, and you pick the one you want. As long as it's not "sold on the truck" (e.g., reserved by a dealer for a specific person), it's yours regardless of where it is. The dealer will arrange to have it shipped to them, you go in and finish the deal. No haggling. It was also easier to say no to all the stupid add-ons they try to sell you at the end, once you think you've finished everything off. Want the extended warranty? The spiffy wax protection kit?, etc., no hard sell there.

The Costco thing might be worth it because you buy the at the cost on their inventory sheet plus some reasonable profit markup (on the order of maybe a thousand, maybe less), but you know what it is up front. Right now the local dealers are also adding thousands of additional dollars in things like "dealer prep fees," or "required" add-ons, which they can get away with because there are so few cars available (esp RAV4 and Forester, which are very popular).

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
We're definitely in the group that buys used cars, about a year or two old, when most of the initial 30% depreciation is over.

Here's a British take on cars:
You want ultra safe, buy Volvo, not cheap, but luxurious. Or Range Rover, pricey.

Subaru are reliable but possibly overpriced for non-updated models, and expensive to run.
Toyota/Honda try to see if you fit.
Nissan are a cheap alternative, but I'd avoid as we have one, plasticky, not comfortable on long drives.

VW are a good compromise, we've had a few VW Golfs, are they popular in the US?
Currently have a Golf Estate for space/dog, sits on the road solidly like a Jag, with terrific economy from the 2L.
For speed, get the Golf R version, a true wolf in sheeps clothing. I've been reliably informed our traffic police generally call for a helicopter and pull over if they see the double twin pipes, realising they're chasing an R.

Surely Ford and Vauxhall are the go-to cars in the US though?

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Car sales in the US by manufacturer:

Source:

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/...res-by-manufacturer/

I'm guessing a lot of those Ford vehicles are pickup trucks....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I now have been diagnosed with some severe spinal issues, a supportive and ergonomic seat is critical for me. If my spine gets irritated the neuropathy in my legs goes crazy and I can't walk. It's that serious.

Pique, I'm really sorry to hear this! Is there some kind seat/support thing you could add to make it manageable? Like the chair version of inner soles?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AD:

Surely Ford and Vauxhall are the go-to cars in the US though?

Ford, GM (I think that’s Vauxhall in the UK) and Stellantis (Chrysler/Fiat) mostly make pickups and SUVs now. Toyota, HondaNissan, and Subaru have most of the car market, with Korean brands (Hyundai, Kia) moving up quickly. European cars are available but not real common.

I owned a Golf in the 80’s (they were Rabbits then) and I remember it as being one of the most comfortable cars I’ve ever driven. Woefully underpowered though, and it broke down a lot.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I now have been diagnosed with some severe spinal issues, a supportive and ergonomic seat is critical for me. If my spine gets irritated the neuropathy in my legs goes crazy and I can't walk. It's that serious.

I had a similar, though not as severe, problem with Hondas on longer trips. We usually took one of our larger (non-Honda) vehicles for those rides, but occasionally would take my mom's Accord or our Prelude. I would start squirming in discomfort about two hours into a five hour drive and always arrived with a sore back. For local trips I was fine.

quote:
Is there some kind seat/support thing you could add to make it manageable? Like the chair version of inner soles?

Haven't been in more recent models but the Hondas I had direct experience with had very firm, flat seats. Mr wtg describes it as sitting on a couple of boards. I remember going to test drive a 2003 Honda Odyssey and then the 2003 Toyota Sienna. Seat comfort was night and day.

I don't know if you can compensate with any kind of seat cushion...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know if you can compensate with any kind of seat cushion...

You're probably right, but I wasn't thinking of a cushion so much as a seat insert, I don't know what to call it but I'm sure I've seen them, something with both bottom and back parts, and maybe even plastic not fabric/cushion...

Maybe I'm remembering something else...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post