well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Key Bridge taken out ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Key Bridge taken out ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
After the proverbial and literal dust settles, I think I know who will be paying the billions (multiple billions) to replace the bridge and compensate people/families ...

Maersk is the deep pocket.

Maersk

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The video is just horrific. Lucky, (not really the right word) that it wasn’t during rush hour.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20445 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The container ship crew called in a mayday, indicating that they were losing power and steering. The bridge was shut down at both ends so no more traffic went across. Not clear why, but the crew working on the bridge to patch potholes couldn't get out of harm's way.

Frowner

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I rode my motorcycle over that bridge once. Scared the pookies outa me.

The Bay Bridge on Rte 50 over Chesapeake Bay is even scarier. I drove that one in a car a couple times. I wouldn’t want to do it on a motorcycle.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Bay Bridge is massive scary. Like riding up a hill with seemingly no end till you get to the top.

I have also sailed on a small boat (<40') under both of those bridges.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
The Bay bridge had or has a driveover service to ferry people who are too frightened to drive themselves.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7397 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
The Bay bridge had or has a driveover service to ferry people who are too frightened to drive themselves.

Big Al

Mackinac Bridge offers that service as well for about $10. Worth it, in my opinion. I have only been over it twice, I wasn’t driving, and it was super scary.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
driveover service

Wait, so you have someone else drive you in your car, over the bridge?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18427 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Yeah, the Bay Bridge is massive scary. Like riding up a hill with seemingly no end till you get to the top.

Is that the one that turns into an underwater tunnel partway through? I just went looking for pictures. Scary enough without tunnel.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13809 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of bridges, especially lift bridges. I always had this fear of being on the bridge and having the bridge tender open it.

I also hated driving over the Bay View Bridge that spans Sturgeon Bay up in Door County. Stories like these didn't do much to alleviate my "bridge opens while I'm on it" fears...

https://doorcountypulse.com/hu...for-bridge-incident/

https://www.wdor.com/news/stur...idge-in-up-position/

Eeker

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Like that scene near the beginning of Blues Brothers.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
driveover service

Wait, so you have someone else drive you in your car, over the bridge?

Yes, that is exactly what it means.

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7397 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

Is that the one that turns into an underwater tunnel partway through? I just went looking for pictures. Scary enough without tunnel.

No, that one is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, which is further south over a different arm of the bay.

Big Al

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Legal process begins ...

The Feds are looking into criminal liability, and Baltimore into financial liability. The search for culprits with deep pockets begins, as it should. The Federal government and the city of Baltimore (and the families of the deceased) are likely to get financial compensation from whoever insured this ship and/or from the corporation that owned and operated it (even if that bankrupts them).