well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    An interesting solution

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting solution
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I keep up with real estate listings in my area and love to look at the photos of homes I drive by but never have a chance to see inside, in person.

A lot of the homes look great, but every so often you see a "Huh?" in the listing photo. Here's one I caught this morning:

I don't know what's worse...that the architect didn't consider the problem of a possible fuel spill running down the stairs into a basement, or that this was the solution so that the garage met code...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's blocked off by raised concrete. No problem.

But I still don't like the design. Easy for critters to get in the basement.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13547 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, that was my point. It's an inelegant solution to the fuel spill problem. eta: I hadn't considered the critter issue.

Here's the rest of the house. I don't recall if it was a total teardown, or a huge addition to the original home. I haven't quite figured out what is where vis a vis the basement...

https://www.realtor.com/reales...3?from=srp-list-card

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
The house we live in has a somewhat similar problem. The furnace is located in the garage area and so could be a source of ignition in the event of a fuel leak.

That observation by an insurance agent prompted a pervious owner to construct a furnace room to wall the furnace off from the rest of the garage, but I've wondered how effective that separation really is. I think it has been improved by the combustion air for the furnace being drawn from the exterior since we had the furnace replaced.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7397 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had the same situation in our vacation home, furnace in garage, open to the entire space. I never considered the ignition problem. Neither did HVAC contractor when they installed it, the county when they inspected it after it was built, or the home inspector when we sold it thirty years later.

Oops. It is a real safety concern.

Bazootiehead-in-training