well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It's been a while since we had a piano shopping thread.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's been a while since we had a piano shopping thread.
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

Not only that, there are some pianos (by no means all) where you can feel the vibrations through the fingers.

Oh, good. A "RealPlayer" thinks so, too.

I thought maybe I was just having vibes, so I'm glad to know that my subjective experience represents something real.

Big Grin

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15554 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

The idea of hearing being connected to skin is super interesting as well!

The research in the article I posted is actually relevant to your work, because the researchers determined that, when we're speaking so somebody nearby, we respond to the slight differences in the puffs of air that we make when pronouncing sounds like "b" and "p," sensing them through our skin. When we're too far away to feel them, our comprehension drops even beyond the decrease in our ability to hear at a distance.

It makes me wonder if there are other things we sense through our skin. Maybe that's what we're detecting when something feels "off" about our surroundings, but we can't say why.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15554 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Any tech that has tried to find a phantom buzz on or around a piano knows that that the whole piano is often alive with vibrations!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7599 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
The top-of-the-line Yamahas, from my limited experience — like the CFX? — are pretty darn nice. I hear they involve a lot of hand labor and that they have borrowed attributes of Boesendorfer, which they own.

not crazy about boesendorfers, either.

i find it forever fascinating how different people resonate to different piano qualities. i have found that people who love the same kind of piano tend to share tastes in other things, too, like books and movies.

would be a fun experiment to have a thread where we name our favorite piano make, plus our favorite book, movie, place, vacation spot, food, etc. and see how alike or different our tastes are in other areas as well.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
there's a documentary film called "touch the sound" about a deaf woman musician/composer. she feels the music by pressing her body against the wall to feel the vibrations.

Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
Hey, Mary Anna --
The first time I played a Sauter grand, I felt absolutely connected to the instrument. Quite an experience. Even my pedaling was a little different.

Posts: 200 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh. I like Boesies just fine. But they are a different beast tonally.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catladyII:
Hey, Mary Anna --
The first time I played a Sauter grand, I felt absolutely connected to the instrument. Quite an experience. Even my pedaling was a little different.

That's the way I felt about my piano. I walked into the dealership planning to trade a medium-sized Baldwin that was no longer worth repairing for a smaller, new piano that would be trouble-free for a long time. I played the C7 and I felt like I immediately played better. The action suited me and I thought it sounded beautiful.

There was a Baldwin on the floor next to it that was new old stock, so it had been built in the US and was a very nice piano. I was used to a Baldwin and would have thought it would have been the one that spoke to me, but it sounded harsh compared to the C7 and the action felt ragged. It just wasn't for me.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Could I horn in on this conversation? I should my Steinway M as a casualty on the flood, and am now looking for a good upright. I'm always hoping to run across a used Pleyel, but there are also a few interesting options at my preferred store now.
The first is 2006 Yamaha YUS5, and the second is a 2015 Seiler 132. I haven't played either yet, but I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on these in general. I've played as sorts of Yamahas, but only a Seiler grand that was lovely.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Geez, can you tell I was partying from my phone?

I SOLD my Steinway as a casualty OF the flood ...

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I give up. Partying = posting.

Slinks away....

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Hahahaha! I prefer the image of you partying on your phone while dreaming of Pleyels...

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
There is a Grotrian dealer in Portland. Take a look at the Concertina upright. I personally like it better than the Pleyel uprights I have played. But how the Pleyel performs depends so much on who prepared it for sale....

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
IIRR kathyk has/had a Seiler grand. I haven't played one, nor the upright, so can't help you there. Let us know how you liked it!

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

The idea of hearing being connected to skin is super interesting as well!

The research in the article I posted is actually relevant to your work, because the researchers determined that, when we're speaking so somebody nearby, we respond to the slight differences in the puffs of air that we make when pronouncing sounds like "b" and "p," sensing them through our skin. When we're too far away to feel them, our comprehension drops even beyond the decrease in our ability to hear at a distance.

It makes me wonder if there are other things we sense through our skin. Maybe that's what we're detecting when something feels "off" about our surroundings, but we can't say why.

Oh interesting! (Also busted, I didn’t read the article you linked! WhoMe but I will now.)

It’s interesting too because some languages make distinctions between consonants that we don’t make in English, like in Korean, the presense or absence of that “puff of air” in what is otherwise the same consonant makes the consonant different in a way that we don’t have in English. Like different B or P sounds, whereas in English we only have one B and P sound.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post