well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The new boosters

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new boosters
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Another in-depth piece by Topol for those who like to play in the weeds.

https://erictopol.substack.com...eemail=true&r=1v8sh2

I found this bit about Novavax and the one about the effects of boosters re long COVID to be interesting.

quote:
The Imminent Boosters

All of this tells us the value of the XBB.1.5 booster as a wave gets going, and that it offers a solid humoral immune response. At the least, it should provide enhanced protection abasing sever[e] Covid, albeit it will not provide any last (more than 1-2 months) of added protection vs infection. The FDA is likely to approve the booster today or early next week. The CDC advisory meeting is set for September 12th and there have been plans for rapid distribution to at least some places in the US soon to follow (perhaps by Friday, September 15th or sometime soon thereafter).

Please don’t forget about Long Covid. Reinfections do carry an increased risk for subsequently manifesting this chronic condition. Vaccines and boosters have consistently provided some level of protection (ranging from 15-40% reduction) vs Long Covid. There has been over-emphasis on the protection against severe acute Covid (hospitalizations and deaths), not enough on the chronic form, so consider the added protection of a booster to this purpose.

The unsubstantiated rumor is that only Pfizer and Moderna shots will go out at first, and that Novavax is being held up for further regulatory review. This is disappointing to me, as I had fully intended to get the Novavax shot as soon as available, having only had mRNA shots until now, and wanting to get the advantage of heterologous (mix and match) added kick in immune response (as compared to homologous/same vaccine dosing). I may still wait for the Novavax, but not if the delay is more than a couple of weeks.

From the comments section:

quote:

kathan
5 hrs ago
·
edited 5 hrs ago
I'd love to read more data and speculation re: the pros and cons of Novavax vs. the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines, as well as the current thinking about vaccination intervals. Are we any closer to understanding the seasonal pattern and OAS? (Also, Eric, I am truly grateful for your work, your vision, and persistence.)

LIKE (9)
REPLY (1)

author
Eric Topol
3 hrs ago
Author
I don't buy the seasonal pattern at all. We have had waves of similar magnitude in both hemispheres simultaneously. I don't know of any material difference between these 3 vaccines and the new boosters, but all the data I've reviewed highlights the benefit of incremental immune repose with mixing (heterologous) dosing.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I need to schedule all these, since it ruins a weekend for me. And I need to get my second Shingrex shot which is time-limited.

Posts: 45753 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We got our bivalent COVID booster, high dose flu and RSV vaxes today. No side effects yet. I'm not expecting any, but MFR occasionally feels a bit bad after COVID shots. I can't even remember how many this is..5? 6?

I feel bad for the pharmacy staff - they have to go through a lot of work to make these things happen. We were there half an hour before actually getting the shots.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Did you know there's going to be a new COVID booster coming out in the next week or so? Just wondering if you intentionally decided to skip it, or if you just weren't aware the release is imminent.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yes, but it's targeting XBB, not Eris, which is the dominant strain now. We've had plans change because of family infections, so we figured just get it now. We'll get the next one after a few weeks.

https://www.usnews.com/news/he...ots-planned-for-fall

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I understand the "get it now" because of things going on around you, especially if you plan to follow up with the new booster.

And as you say, the new booster is targeting XBB, but Eris is an offshoot of XBB.

quote:
A new coronavirus booster designed specifically to protect against XBB subvariants, like Eris, is being developed by the pharmaceutical companies Pfizer, Moderna, and Novavax. The new vaccines are expected to become available in October, and Swartzberg said they "should be very effective."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...preading/ar-AA1f72j3

Bazootiehead-in-training