well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Time to move on beyond amyloid plaques?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to move on beyond amyloid plaques?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In the 30 years that biomedical researchers have worked determinedly to find a cure for Alzheimer’s disease, their counterparts have developed drugs that helped cut deaths from cardiovascular disease by more than half, and cancer drugs able to eliminate tumors that had been incurable. But for Alzheimer’s, not only is there no cure, there is not even a disease-slowing treatment.

The brain, Alzheimer’s researchers patiently explain, is hard — harder than the heart, harder even than cancer. While that may be true, it is increasingly apparent that there is another, more disturbing reason for the tragic lack of progress: The most influential researchers have long believed so dogmatically in one theory of Alzheimer’s that they systematically thwarted alternative approaches. Several scientists described those who controlled the Alzheimer’s agenda as “a cabal.”

In more than two dozen interviews, scientists whose ideas fell outside the dogma recounted how, for decades, believers in the dominant hypothesis suppressed research on alternative ideas: They influenced what studies got published in top journals, which scientists got funded, who got tenure, and who got speaking slots at reputation-buffing scientific conferences.

This stifling of competing ideas, say a growing number of scholars, is a big reason why there is no treatment for Alzheimer’s. (The four approved drugs have no effect on the disease, providing only a temporary memory boost.)

https://www.statnews.com/2019/...rogress-toward-cure/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Science advances one funeral at a time…

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It certainly does.

That STAT article is from 2019.

Just a few days ago, I saw this (related) announcement.

quote:
Contrary to a prevailing theory that has been recently called into question, new research from the University of Cincinnati (UC) bolsters a hypothesis that Alzheimer’s disease is caused by a decline in levels of a specific protein.

UC researchers led by Alberto Espay, MD, and Andrea Sturchio, MD, in collaboration with the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, published the research on October 4, 2022, in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease.

https://scitechdaily.com/shock...-alzheimers-disease/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this! If anyone sees any other interesting Alzheimers research, please post! LL#1 is applying to neuroscience PhD programs this fall (yikes, how did that happen!!!) with the goal of doing Alzheimer's research and it has been surprisingly hard to figure out which programs are doing the type of research she wants to do. (Business idea that is ripe for the picking - some kind of centralized database that makes whole grad school search process easier! Right now she is picking a school, googling to see if they have a neuroscience PhD, then to figure out if they are doing the research she wants, most schools make you click on each individual faculty member -- usually there's a list of 50-100 -- and read through long dense descriptions of what they are researching -- very few schools have a quick summary or way to search by subject area. And then even if you find someone, there's no guarantee they are taking PhD students - you have to email them and ask if they have funding and openings. It's been an nightmare apparently - incredibly time consuming on top of trying to actually finish her undergraduate degree.)

At any rate, never in a million years would she have thought to look at University of Cincinnati which is especially ironic considering she goes to college basically right next door to Cinci. So this is really helpful.....I've sent her both articles.

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I reached out to a few friends who are doing/have done research in the medical sciences. One has responded, and here's what she said.

quote:
Neuroscience is a hot area these days, and schools that have a program in neuroscience announce it in big capital letters, so it shouldn't be tough finding a program. Finding a particular lab, however, is another story and the best option is often applying to the best program, because she will need education in broad areas of neuroscience to do any future research. My training at Hopkins was all over the place but the professors were really good. I wound up doing my early research in a lab that I really didn't like but from which I learned a lot of basics. That being said, if she found someone doing Alzheimer's research and he wanted her in his lab and was a good teacher, then great. Graduate training is an apprenticeship of sorts, in that you learn a lot about a certain area of science directly under the professor's supervision. But that may mean that she learn a lot about molecular biology, not Alzheimer's. You need to learn a lot of science before you can apply it to a problem. Most people in the sciences go on to do fellowships to concentrate on particular problems. And there is a chance that she may find herself much more interested in a different, also important, problem.

Many medical schools have excellent neuroscience programs these days, and the problems they address tend to be more clinically-related.

Maybe the quickest way to find Alzheimer's researchers is to do a search of papers in that area, and see where the authors are from.

Here is a list of graduate programs in neuroscience for the Society for Neuroscience. I do not know how inclusive it is.
https://my.sfn.org/Directories...rov=&country=&type=8

My friend did her undergraduate work at one university and then got her M.A., Ph.D., and did a post-doc at Johns Hopkins. She was at Hopkins for quite a while doing research but eventually moved to another university

I'll post anything else if/when I hear back from the other folks...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Curious to know how long ago your friend was at Hopkins and how she liked it in general - their program is high on LL's list but she hears that the culture there is extremely high pressure and almost toxic - no work-life balance, grad students being exploited and worked to the bone/given no time off/expected to work on Christmas etc....that it is one of the worst grad schools in the US for that. I don't know how reliable the internet rumor mill and she doesn't know anyone who has gone there in real life so some perspective would be great if your friend has any. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to people!

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lisa - check your PMs!

Bazootiehead-in-training