well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ukraine intercepts Russian Soldiers' Phone Calls

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ukraine intercepts Russian Soldiers' Phone Calls
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Terrified Phone Calls Home

Aside from the poignancy, what a trove of intelligence if Russian soldiers feel free to pick up their cell phones and dial home.

BTW, the Ukrainians are unearthing the mutilated bodies in Izyum now, from where this poor boy called home to his Spartan wife.

Posts: 12543 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sad, they did not choose to go from what I have read.
Hopefully some will go home and tell their stories.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Boy, that conversation - he and she changed roles real fast.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Heartbreaking, whichever side they're on.
As always, cannon fodder, especially, the Russian kids who don't have the same idealistic, patriotic drive.

Have been watching some very well done historical dramas* about WWI, and the effect was reinforced by recently visiting the Military Museum down the road with my son. So many monuments commemorating local kids as young as 16 and 17 - mostly died or mortally wounded in France in the Marne. That deadly Fall, with so much wasted young life!

*"Upstairs Downstairs" for one.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boy, that conversation - he and she changed roles real fast.

Yeah, I referred to her as a Spartan wife, as in "suck it up Russian warrior, with your shield or on it." Glad the harpy isn't MY wife.

Posts: 12543 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And there were also letters left behind by dejected Russian soldiers (and found by Ukrainian troops who turned them over to the Washington Post).

These are a small number of soldiers' expressions of despair and demoralization, but unless there are other phone calls and letters expressing the opposite POVs, it certainly sounds like the Russians are miserable, poorly supported by their commands and want out.

quote:
IZYUM, Ukraine — About 10 days before Ukrainian forces retook the city of Izyum last weekend, Russian troops stationed here were so demoralized that they drafted letters begging their superiors to dismiss them from their roles.

The 10 handwritten letters, dated Aug. 30, were left behind in a two-story residential house where Russians were squatting and later found by Ukrainian soldiers who provided the letters to The Washington Post for review. They paint a portrait of dejected troops desperate for rest and concerned about their health and morale after months of fighting.

“I refuse to complete my duty in the special operation on the territory of Ukraine due to lack of vacation days and moral exhaustion,” wrote a man who identified himself as the commander of an antiaircraft missile platoon from the Moscow region.

Another soldier asked to be released citing “the worsening of my health and not receiving the necessary medical aid.” Still another said he was experiencing “physical and moral exhaustion.”

Others wrote complaining that they were denied vacation time for family obligations, including to get married and to witness the birth of a child.

The similar style in which the 10 letters were written suggests the troops, weary and disheartened, banded together to draft them. The letters caught the attention of Ukrainian soldiers when they first arrived in Izyum, which the Russians abandoned hastily in retreat, and some were shared on social media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...-soldiers-they-fled/

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post