well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Summergrass 2019

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summergrass 2019
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I posted pictures from this event last year but enough has changed I'll post a few more. I absolutely love this event, as much for the venue as for the music.

First the music venue. Beautiful weather, under the trees, and a light breeze. Sound a bit better this year - new equipment. Same chair arrangement as last year - drop your chair anywhere you like and feel free to sit in any vacant chair you find. If you find someone sitting in your chair, that person will move or you can sit in someone else's chair. Crazy system but it works perfectly. Day:

Night:

Christine the big green wood-fired steam tractor made a return appearance and it looks as though the guy who maintains her has really been whipping his apprentices in to shape. They've done a ton of work since last year, fixing any number of drips and leaks. Shakes the ground as she goes past. Awesome!

I didn't see the clock museum last time. Lots of very fine pieces and the guy who runs it knows everything there is to know about clocks. These two are my favorites:

This contraption makes rope:

The sawmill is new this year, but it wasn't running when I was there. Those two big unguarded blades make me think of Snidely Whiplash:

This sign is from a time when no one could imagine gas costing more than $.30/gallon and made no provision to change the first number on the sign:

My favorite picture of all. Behind me is a somewhat makeshift RV park where volunteers can live if they want to. This fire pit appears to be where they gather at night. In the background is the stationary steam equipment building, which is one of the tidiest buildings on the property. All of the machinery in that building is in first class shape. They run them all once a month and I am sad I did not get to see that.

Looks like my kind of retirement, and when I told one of the guys I'm an almost-retired electrician he practically begged me to come down on weekends and help out.

I may do just that. ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
You do the most interesting things!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There's room for you too!

These are just two of some 10 raised planters in front of the office/gift shop. The only two that aren't dead are the ones with succulents in them and then only because succulents don't take much care. The others died because the couple who maintained them doesn't come around any more.

A cool thing about the gift shop is that everything is donated and nothing has a price. You make a donation to the museum that you think is appropriate and you can have your tee shirt or statue or book or whatever.

I asked the lady if people ever make ridiculously low donations to buy some of the nicer stuff in there.

She told me it has never been an issue. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post