well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    They're not really vaccines - the new myth

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They're not really vaccines - the new myth
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I first heard about the "it's not a vaccine" theory a few weeks ago while chatting with an acquaintance who said that's why he's not getting the vaccine.

the myth and the rebuttal:

https://www.skepticalraptor.co...ccines-the-new-myth/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And about that deadly spike protein....

https://sciencebasedmedicine.o...virus-spike-protein/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I first heard about the "it's not a vaccine" theory a few weeks ago while chatting with an acquaintance who said that's why he's not getting the vaccine.

Aww jeez, I hadn't heard of this. But ugh, just ugh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ah, I may have misunderstood. I have heard the conspiracy theories that the vaccine is something else (genetic modification, microchips, whatever).

I thought this was going to be along the lines of "the vaccines are just saline, because there's no covid."

Still, the fact that I thought that was the conspiarcy-theory du jour is also ugh.

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I thought this was going to be along the lines of "the vaccines are just saline, because there's no covid."

There are a bunch of stories kind of along those lines:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/b...ead-on-social-media/

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
i started to read the first article, and realized I don’t really care. I can’t make people get the vaccine. Their loss. We should share the vaccine with countries that want and need them.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a bunch of stories kind of along those lines

Sigh. -_-

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
i started to read the first article, and realized I don’t really care. I can’t make people get the vaccine. Their loss. We should share the vaccine with countries that want and need them.

I agree.

I actually posted it because I found it interesting, as opposed to something to be used as talking points with anti-vaxxers.

I thought he did a good job of explaining the science, and the "how does it work" aspect always fascinates me.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

I agree.

I actually posted it because I found it interesting, as opposed to something to be used as talking points with anti-vaxxers.

I thought he did a good job of explaining the science, and the "how does it work" aspect always fascinates me.

Oh, in that case, yes! Me, I just want to know that it works, and move on to something else. My brain is full!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I want know it probably works (it has an efficacy rate, of course) and I want to move on...

I think I might be more comfortable if more than approximately only 37% of the US were vaccinated.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
NY Times Always Has ...

... great coverage of the vaccine rollout nationally. Over half the population has received at least one dose, which means that half the population will be fully vaccinated in short order. As the FDA gradually lowers the vaccination age, the percent of the population that gets one will steadily rise. Looks likely that we'll reach the 70% goal by close to the July 4th aspirational date set by the administration.

The trick is coming up with effective nudges to get the % closer to 90 by the end of 2021. We can coax some of the reluctant group, but we'll never get above 95% coverage. My guess is that we'll settle in around 78% to 82%.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I sent the article to a friend who has a PhD in genetics. When I don't have expertise in a particular technical area, I like to confirm that what's being written is scientifically sound....here's what he said:

quote:
Couldn’t improve on this discussion. I admire the patience the author(s) exhibit debunking nonsense.

edit:

he also said this...

quote:
or maybe I I can
While mRNA vaccines are a marvelous new way to present a non-infectious image of a deadly virus to your immune system, they are likely not any more persistent than “.traditional” methods and may in fact be a better mimic of the actual infection. Which I would consider an improvement with regard to potential efficacy.
The mRNA vaccines also offer the now-obvious advantage of rapid development.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
NY Times Always Has ...

... great coverage of the vaccine rollout nationally. Over half the population has received at least one dose, which means that half the population will be fully vaccinated in short order. As the FDA gradually lowers the vaccination age, the percent of the population that gets one will steadily rise. Looks likely that we'll reach the 70% goal by close to the July 4th aspirational date set by the administration.

The trick is coming up with effective nudges to get the % closer to 90 by the end of 2021. We can coax some of the reluctant group, but we'll never get above 95% coverage. My guess is that we'll settle in around 78% to 82%.

My state has joined the ranks of those offering a $1M prize for being vaccinated. You're eligible if you've had at least one vaccination.

As one might predict, some heads exploded. "I never approved my tax dollars for this!" But....

1. Duh. I never approved my tax dollars going towards the war in Iraq, but here we are.
2. The money is actually coming from the state lottery funds, not taxpayers.

Bang Head

I'm in outrage overload.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. The money is actually coming from the state lottery funds, not taxpayers.

Yes, but that same money could be put toward, say, building an endowment to make community college free, a la Tennessee's Promise. Other opportunities abound.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post