well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Day in Disney? No Thanks.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Day in Disney? No Thanks.
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Disney just raised its prices. For a family of four, Park Hopper admission, access to Lightning Lanes, and parking is now $1086 per day during peak season.

This does not include food, hotel, or souvenirs.

All to be immersed in a sea of people sweating in line to ride dated attractions, some of which were around when I was a kid.

I feel pretty confident that I will never set foot in acDisney park again.

Cindy - thinking a day at any beach is cheaper and more relaxing

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
+1

The writing was on the wall when the Florida park took a wrecking ball to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

It's not the place I used to know, it's overrun with people, all taking pictures with their phones every ten seconds, or walking around taking videos with their phones on sticks, and it's become obscenely expensive.

I've been to the one in LA a few times with my late aunt.

I've been to the Florida park countless times growing up. I went what will certainly be the last time once when I lived in Sarasota.

It seems like the opposite of relaxation and fun to me.

No, thanks.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Fair assumption but then the grandkids come…

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Fair assumption but then the grandkids come…

Yes

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
My disinclination to ever spend even five minutes in Disney has nothing to do with how much they charge.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Will you please elaborate, piqué?

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Nope. The grandkids can beg all they want. I'm not taking them to Disney.

I will take them to the beach and teach them sand castles.

I will take them fishing and teach them to bait a hook.

I will take them camping and teach them how to roast a marshmallow.

I will not take them to Disney.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I made the sad decision a few months ago that I pretty much had to boycott the entire states of Florida and Texas for political reasons. I never took the kids to Disney (they just never got into into the whole Disney thing) but we did go to Universal and Sea World when they were in elementary school and really enjoyed both parks. I'd love to go back, but until Florida gets its political sh*t together, no one in that state is getting a dime of my money. Same for Texas - LL#2 is a serious roller coaster enthusiast and has the Six Flags parks in Texas high on his bucket list but he too is on board with the boycott. Sorry not sorry, Greg Abbott and Ron Desantis. You guys gotta go before our family will get near either state. (It's sadly limiting LL#1's grad school search too - Mayo Clinic has some pretty awesome neuroscience research but it's at their site in Florida so they came right off the list. Bye bye Mayo Clinic.) Disney's new price gouging (which is really just a new level of their usual price gouging) is just extra reason not to go. But yeah, I'm totally on board with your boycott Cindy, and for way more reasons than just the cost.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm in full Texas/Florida boycott mode.

Then again, why would I ever go there? Especially Texas. There's nothing they have that I want.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Actually Disneyland in CA is much more human scale and not so much an exercise in sweaty queuing as the FL counterpart.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Been there with the kids years ago. Did not take the grandkids, though no one tried to cajole us into doing so.

Like Lisa, I am turned off to FL, though sister lives there and my BIL on my wife’s side has retired there, so still visit rarely.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Florida, and never went to Disney. Not particularly interested.

And that price! A day at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg is a phenomenal bargain! You can get a year pass to Busch and Water Country for less than a day pass at Disney. Get real!

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will you please elaborate, piqué?

quote:
an exercise in sweaty queuing

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post