well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Connections

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connections
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I recently ran across an article about a book called The Nazi's Granddaughter: How I Discovered My Grandfather Was a War Criminal. The author is Sylvia Foti, a Lithuanian-American with a background very similar to mine.

The backstory:

https://silviafoti.com/who-is-jonas-noreika/

edit to add couple of other links:
https://www.chicagotribune.com...uq5ubzkru-story.html

https://news.yahoo.com/chicago...y-war-090010809.html

I put a hold on the book at the library, and while I was waiting for it to become available I decided to poke around the internet to read more about the story and the controversy. I ran across Foti's maiden name and it looked familiar. So did the story of her mother dying of cancer in 2000. And then a bunch of pieces fell into place.

Long story short....my grandparents were friends with Foti's grandmother and her mother, General Noreika's wife and daughter.

I remember asking my Mom once what had happened to Mrs Noreika's husband, and she said "The Russians shot him."

I don't know whether the friendship went back to Lithuania and they actually knew General Noreika. My family might have met Mrs Noreika and her daughter Dalia in the displaced persons camp in Germany, or maybe they met here in Chicago.

My family never talked much about what happened during the war in Lithuania, just snippets and passing recollections which would trail off pretty quickly. Reading about Sylvia's family history made me wonder about my own. Was it good? Or was it bad?

They're all gone now, so I guess I'll never know.

Sobering.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37897 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's fascinating, wtg!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One more.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.co...daughters-nightmare/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37897 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Finished the book. Tough read in a lot of ways.

I'm relatively certain that my grandparents knew Noreika and his wife in Lithuania. My mother's family lived in the district where he was the commander during the Nazi occupation.

Have to admit I've never delved into Lithuanian history until recently. From Silvia's descriptions and some other reading I've done since stumbling across her book, it also seems impossible that the general population was unaware of what was happening to the Jews.

I'm remembering bits and pieces of conversations I've had with family and other members of the Lithuanian-American community over the years, and I find myself re-arranging those snippets into a new picture. I'm thinking there is no way my family members didn't know what was happening around them. Whether any of them actively participated in the killing, I don't think I will ever know. But they were there. And they knew the Jews were being rounded up and killed.

As I said, sobering.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I guess it's nit picking about what was a horror everywhere, but the book ("A Daughter's Nightmare") speaks of Lithuania as having killed the highest percentage of Jews in WWII, while other sources have quite different figures.

Poland seems to "win" overall (Wikipedia says 98% of Polish Jews were killed in the war - and I think it's widely known that the Poles were highly complicit.)

Here is a comprehensive list of countries and both # and % of Jews killed, where Poland also comes out on top though a lower percentage (still Lithuania is still lower).

Every number is approximate however much Holocaust historians have tried to be as precise as possible. There's a certain drive to identify the basically unfathomable number of Jews murdered to make them back into individuals instead of a kind of empty statistic (as per Stalin's alleged remark about the difference between an individual death and a statistic" - for example of a million).

Number of Jews Killed in the Final Solution, by country

FWIW little Macedonia and Montenegro ranked highest, either tied with Poland or higher.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post