well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Homecoming activities in Kentucky

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homecoming activities in Kentucky
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Not The Onion.

quote:
Student-staff lap dances at Kentucky high school lead to disciplinary actions

The lap dances occurred during Hazard High School's homecoming festivities. The superintendent said what was supposed to be a fun activity "got out of hand."

quote:
"We strive to foster creativity in our students, but unfortunately, this time it was carried too far," she said in her statement.

The district has not identified any of the students or staff involved. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, the school's principal, Donald "Happy" Mobelini, was involved and is pictured in one of the images.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...ary-actions-n1282630

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37983 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Why are people so incredibly stupid?

Posts: 13635 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The Dukes will not mind a bit.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Donald “Happy” Mobelini… Roll Eyes

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13821 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The scope of reaction shocked many in tight-knit, conservative Hazard, whose red-brick downtown framed by mountains was once a hub of a now-depleted Appalachian coalfield.

And while some locals were appalled by what happened in their school, many parents, students and residents, stung by the onslaught of condemnation, have leaped ferociously to the school’s defense — casting the controversy as overblown and the work of outsiders.

“People who were not even connected to the school went after us,“ said student Gavin Goins, a sophomore who was at the event. “I think it’s an attack on tradition.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story...p-dances/6193474001/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37983 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
It really does seem like an overreaction. I mean, who among us has NOT done a lap dance for a faculty member of their high school?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
In an age where WAP becomes a big hit, this is a giant nothingburger. And frankly is no one outside of Hazard's business.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
It really does seem like an overreaction. I mean, who among us has NOT done a lap dance for a faculty member of their high school?

ROTFLMAO

Don't forget "dressed in women's underwear!

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Doug strikes again....

ROTFLMAO

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I think it’s an attack on tradition.”

Does he mean that they have a tradition of students giving teachers lap dances???

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18591 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
It seems like another opportunity for outrage against people who have had a lot stacked against them for awhile.

I don't agree with the premise that Hillbilly Elegy has promoted about the people of Appalachia, and I think this may well be just another example of that bias.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The article that I originally posted was the first one I read about the events at the high school, and it contained no commentary about the town. It was the events at the school that got my attention. I may be a Pollyanna, but I was shocked.

I posted the second one just as a follow up about the town's mixed reaction.

I may be the only person in the country who had no clue what size the town is, where it was located (beyond that it is in Kentucky), or that some people were slamming the town because it's in Appalachia.

I grew up in a bubble and it seems that I still live in one....

Bazootiehead-in-training