well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Crush the Public EV Chargers!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crush the Public EV Chargers!
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Bill coming to NC legislature

Latest brain dead ploy by GOP state legislator.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mind numbingly stupid.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The stupid, it burns....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18538 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ditto
and ditto

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My hat's off to the article's writer. Big Grin

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I always thought those EV chargers were free, but my friends with an EV said you have to pay.

Probably a pittance, though.

I couldn't own an EV. We only have one car (the Mini), and it needs to get us back and forth to see the kids.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Electric car charging.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/h...ost-to-charge-an-ev/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
it costs us about $11 to charge when we drive from PDX to YVR--vs about $60 in gas.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
My hat's off to the article's writer. Big Grin

He did make the article entertaining

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Hard to navigate such a ludicrous premise without sounding simply snarky or outright dumb.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
How long until a gas tax like tax is added to electricity for vehicles?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s too bad they didn’t include any video with that article.

The newer chargers operate at some 800 volts and rolling coal over one would be make for some spectacular footage. Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Has anyone read about predictions of how electricity use would change if everyone were driving electric cars? I'm thinking about the article where it said that electricity is generally cheaper at night (and certainly that's the case where I live). But isn't that because demand is lower at night? What happens if demand is no longer lower at night?

BTW I'm just thinking out loud here, by no means do I intend to suggest that my questions here are a drawback to electric cars.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18538 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Based on my vast research (OK, five minutes on google.... Big Grin ) I'd say the opinions on that are mixed. There are several doomsday articles that the increased demand due to electric cars will destroy the grid.

Other, more reasonable articles (in my opinion as to what constitutes "reasonable") point out that the move from partial to nearly 100% electric cars won't happen overnight, giving the grid time to scale up.

Cool futuristic articles talk about e-roads, where your car is being charged as you are driving down the road, and/or you are generating additional electricity from driving which is then returned to the grid, etc.

Noting that additional power is only carbon neutral if it's coming from clean energy sources (wind, solar, hydro, etc.).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Current battery technology is resource-intensive.

Good discussion from Fareed Zakaria:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...053922797#8053922797

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post