well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A COVID update

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A COVID update
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
From Eric Topol. Lots of good stuff to read, this in particular:

quote:
Getting Covid

Recently, a colleague who I share an office with in clinic, and had the prior day, informed me that he had tested positive, was no longer a Novid. Early the next morning, I had a mild sore throat so I knew I’d finally been hit. I tested positive and started a prescription for Paxlovid soon thereafter. I had 2 days of marked fatigue, but was otherwise unaffected. Like most of you who have taken it, Paxlovid induced a bad metallic taste, but fortunately I didn’t experience other side effects. I tested negative for 2 days consecutively before ending isolation. While I normally exercise nearly every day, I put that on hold for 10 days. I had considered also taking metformin because of the randomized trial showing it can help prevent Long Covid, but there aren’t any data yet that have assessed the combination of paxlovid and metformin.

I consider myself extremely lucky compared with the experience of so many other friends, family members, colleagues and patients, particularly those at more advanced ages. Along the long course of the pandemic I had so many people write to me (or post on social media) about its inevitability and that I should just move on in life, stop masking, and don’t worry about it—”you’re not going to die.” I never agreed with that outlook, since we’ve made steady improvements throughout the pandemic in preventing severe Covid and Long Covid, such that the longer an infection can be delayed, the better. Of course, I’d much prefer to never have Covid, but there’s only so much one can do to prevent that from happening.

I had received the XBB.1.5 booster in late September, but still got infected 6-7 weeks later. That’s not at all surprising, since the booster doesn’t do much against infection, especially after the first month, and at peak might suppress infection by only 30-40%. But it does markedly amp up neutralizing antibodies (and T cell response) and certainly would be expected to help prevent severe Covid.

https://erictopol.substack.com...eemail=true&r=1v8sh2

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this! Glad to hear that the booster is getting good results. We got our covid and flu vaccines (me in Oct, Mr. SK in Nov).

So far both Mr SK and I are still novids -- a word I just learned the other day when a friend posted on FB that she was no longer novid.

We'll see if we last through the holidays, we're hoping to see family and so on, so we'll do a little more socializing than we've done all semester. I obviously don't want to get it, and have no plans to throw caution to the wind, but we are also not going to practice social distancing from family during the holidays, so ... is it just a matter of time? We'll let you know!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I might have it. I had a cold, the flu, or COVID for the last two days. I feel a little better today but couldn't get out of bed for two days and nights. I didn't do a rapid test because I was too sick to figure out how to do it. My temperature was only slightly elevated so I don't think it's COVID, but I don't know.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
At this point, I don’t think there’s any basis for making assumptions about whether something is a cold or covid, given how many people have had mild cases of covid. If you need to know, testing is the only way. Otherwise it’s probably best to assume you have covid and act accordingly, so as not to spread the infection.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Good advice.

Thanks.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason you wouldn’t test now? Might be good data to know if you have it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I’m a novid as well. Given my close proximity to 18 5 year olds who regularly sneeze directly into my face, I’m assuming I either am naturally immune or for whatever reason tests don’t pick it up when I have it. Shrug

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
How do I get tested (not the rapid test; I can't figure out how to use the ones I have)?

I'm isolating (except from my roommate but I have my own room) for ten days.

I know I can get find out from a blood test if I've ever been exposed. I'm just saying it's an option. Correct me if I'm wrong.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Some of the rapid tests come with a link to video instructions. I just follow the directions, and I’ve done a lot of them. (We test before the kids come over…)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'll try to do it tomorrow.

I think it's a good idea.

I've tried in the past and let myself become frustrated.

Smiler