well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Take a Stand 3!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a Stand 3!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
BBQ sauce:

Texas, St. Louis, Carolina, Alabama, Memphis?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Korean.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch just in the US...

https://www.tasteofhome.com/co...onal-barbecue-sauce/

According to this, I probably prefer Kansas City style??

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Kansas City (I had to look up which one is closest to what I like!)

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
BBQ sauce:

Texas, St. Louis, Carolina, Alabama, Memphis?

Yes. Besides, there's East and West and South Carolina sauces and the list goes on forever.

For pulled pork you cannot beat east Carolina vinegar sauce. I also make a West Carolina sauce that's excellent.

Lexington Style Finishing Sauce

Ingredients

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or up to 1 tablespoon, if you like hotter sauce)
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and let sit 10 minutes. Add to chopped barbecue when hot to season the meat and keep it from drying out.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I forgot Kansas City.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They are all great in their proper application. As an everyday sauce I usually have some Sweet Baby Ray's around. It was my FIL's favorite.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I forgot Kansas City.

Will try to forgive that omission.
I met Arthur Bryant at his restaurant in Kansas City. Superb BBQ.
Have been to the Rendezvous in Memphis. The renowned place in St. Louis was disappointing.
Texas BBQ was ok. Have not had any from the Carolinas or Alabama.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wonder if BBQ sauce would work with tofu/seitan Leaving

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Wonder if BBQ sauce would work with tofu/seitan Leaving

I don’t know why not!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The Ted Lasso Easter egg about Kansas City barbecue sauce:

quote:
[Jason] Sudeikis, who grew up in Overland Park, shows his hometown some on-screen love whenever he gets the chance.

Ted Lasso also pays special tribute to Kansas City barbecue. You may have spotted the Richmond coach sporting a "JoeArthur Gatestack" shirt, which refers to four iconic Kansas City barbeque spots — Joe's, Arthur Bryant's, Gates, and Jack Stack — and was created by Sudeikis' childhood pal, Brendan Curran.

Ted has a photo of Arthur Bryant's as his desktop background, and receives a bottle of their barbecue sauce in one of his care packages from home. "You know, this right here is some of the best barbecue sauce in Kansas City, which makes it some of the best barbecue sauce in the world," he tells Rebecca.

And who could forget Ted saying "barbecue sauce" after throwing the final dart and beating Rupert in Season 1, episode 8, "The Diamond Dogs"? Now that's love. "There's an old writing adage of write what you know," Sudeikis told Kansas City's KSHB 41. "This one has really resonated .... I'm proud of the fact that folks from back home enjoy all those little touches."

The infamous Ted Lasso darts scene where he refers to barbecue sauce (one of the best scenes in a show filled with great ones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTby6aTS3v8&t=12s

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I never have BBQ unless we get takeout at Famous Dave's. IIRR I always get the Memphis, if that's the one that is just a seasonings rub and not sweet/gooey

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big barbeque fan. Eeker

I loved grilled meat, and think it gets destroyed by lots of sauce. That said, I really don't like sweet sauces, so whatever BBQ sauce isn't sweet would be my "jam" LOL

I think that puts me in the Korean camp.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm not a big barbeque fan. Eeker

I loved grilled meat, and think it gets destroyed by lots of sauce. That said, I really don't like sweet sauces, so whatever BBQ sauce isn't sweet would be my "jam" LOL

I think that puts me in the Korean camp.

Try one of the Carolinas - mostly vinegar. Or the Alabama - mostly mayonnaise.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The Alabama one intrigued me. One of my favorite grilling marinades is basically just plain yogurt, garlic, cumin and cayenne.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post