well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No Barking!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Barking!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The almost worshipful attitude toward the rich at the WaPo and NYT is remarkable.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Having been on the receiving end of neighbor's incessant barking dogs, I can vouch for the fact that it can really, truly drive you insane.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The almost worshipful attitude toward the rich at the WaPo and NYT is remarkable.

I think you might be missing the undertone.

Either that, or I'm seeing something that isn't there.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Quirt--I thought it was pretty snide.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I do not live in that neighborhood, and I no longer own a dog.

But I will tell you that if anyone tried to build a dog park near my house there would be a fight.

I, the homeowner, was there first. My home is the only place I can go for peace and quiet.

The dogs are a nuisance with their barking, the owners are a nuisance with their (probably) loud talking, the drivers are a nuisance by taking curb space from residents. The amount of abandoned poop would likely skyrocket.

Turning a quiet home into a loud one hurts property values. I am shocked that the dog owners are so selfish.

Put your dog on a leash and walk the dang thing. Or hire someone to do it. Your dog does not need to be off-leash.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It’s a “quality of life” issue for dogs. That may not matter to you, especially if you are in range of the barking, but it matters to dog owners.

And dog owners are VOCAL. I was in San Francisco when the National Park Service proposed changing dog rules there. There was a hearing ... so many dog owners showed up, they had to add TWO overflows rooms with the hearing broadcast into them.

All of which is to say, dog owners care about leash-free space. A LOT.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Yeah, but they never should have put a dog park close to residences like that. It's just poor planning.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35004 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I do not live in that neighborhood, and I no longer own a dog.

But I will tell you that if anyone tried to build a dog park near my house there would be a fight.

I, the homeowner, was there first. My home is the only place I can go for peace and quiet.

The dogs are a nuisance with their barking, the owners are a nuisance with their (probably) loud talking, the drivers are a nuisance by taking curb space from residents. The amount of abandoned poop would likely skyrocket.

Turning a quiet home into a loud one hurts property values. I am shocked that the dog owners are so selfish.

Put your dog on a leash and walk the dang thing. Or hire someone to do it. Your dog does not need to be off-leash.

+100

A friend complained about a neighbor who complained about another neighbor's dog's barking. The dog barked incessantly because the owners were never home.
I see less of the friend.
He only called the cops. I would have called the cops and sued in civil court.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25737 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

Yeah, but they never should have put a dog park close to residences like that. It's just poor planning.

I don't know exactly where that dog park is, but I'd be surprised if there's a lot of open land in Chevy Chase. Which is to say, if you're going to have a dog park, someone will be impacted. But maybe I'm wrong, and maybe there's available land.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
No more barking???

You're barking mad.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows that ...

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re the OP — ugh, what a mess! I suspect this kind of thing is going to become more and more common.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18614 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

I don't know exactly where that dog park is, but I'd be surprised if there's a lot of open land in Chevy Chase. Which is to say, if you're going to have a dog park, someone will be impacted. But maybe I'm wrong, and maybe there's available land.

And that's relevant... how? People have a right to enjoy their home in relative peace and quiet. The fact that there wasn't a good place to put an off-leash dog park doesn't mean the right decision is to put it in a bad place.

What do you think about people who feel they have a right to keep a "guard dog" outside in a residential neighborhood 24/7, with no intention of quieting it down, because they don't feel safe in the neighborhood. Is that a good reason to let the dog bark? What about a dog that "needs his freedom" and can't stay indoors? What about a dog that hasn't been house trained? There are always reasons why it's easier or more comfortable for someone to assert their rights as primary, but in my experience most of those people are just basically inconsiderate.

And if you really want to strike up a neighborhood war, start talking about banning outdoor cats.... Big Grin