Find
Notify
Tools

RSV
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It’s one of the viruses that cause the common cold, but it can be serious for little kids and adults with medical issues. Only recently have they been diagnosing RSV; prior to that it was lumped in with other colds.

Jack got it - probably in preschool - and ended up in the hospital for three days to deal with reduced oxygen levels. He’s fine now, but everyone who visited him now has it - including us. It’s remarkably contagious and masks don’t help, apparently.

The nurse told me that it’s filled up most of the beds in the pediatric ward and they’ve started sending kids to other hospitals.

RSV is filling up hospitals.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Steve, so sorry to hear your little grandson went through this trauma (and his family too, older members especially). Hope the rest of you get over it lickety split!

So scary! And that masks don't even provide protection.

I have only the vaguest recollection of hearing of this respiratory virus back when I was mothering little kids. It's terrifying to learn it's back and with a much bigger bang - such inexplicable contagion!

I had to take care of a small son who was on the point of death for years, requiring round the clock care - medication, nebulizing, "pulmonary hygiene". With him, the cause was life-threatening asthma attacks triggered by dozens of serious allergies (the highest score on 47 out of the 50 substances he was tested for).

Hearing this brings back those terrible memories.

I so empathize with those poor parents and other family. Watching a child struggle to breathe is like suffering personal drowning. Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad Jack is better.
Hope you are better soon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
RSV running rampant around here, too. Wondering If I'll catch it from the trick or treaters who come around on Halloween. Lots of little faces yelling "Trick or Treat!" when they come to the door.

Glad y'all are recovering, Steve...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post