well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Quest for Clean Air in Your Living Space

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Quest for Clean Air in Your Living Space
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
https://www.wired.com/story/th...d&utm_source=twitter

The biggest and easiest takeaway: use an induction burner instead of gas.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I had a whole house electrostatic HEPA filter installed when my son was literally deathly ill with massive allergies and asthma plus a small HEPA filter in his bedroom. Along with removing all rugs and curtains, I think it saved his life.

Unfortunately, it eventually failed - am debating getting another although I really can't afford it. Besides, it violates my house fix-up rule, of nothing that won't up the selling price a dollar for a dollar (and I AM hoping to move in a few years).

Meanwhile, though, my house tends to make my (and others') noses run again.

Sadly, contemplating that air pollution overall may make the health and environmental magic of bikes no longer work out - at least, in cities. And if one decides to put up with long commutes in order to live in a more countrified area, exhaust will just add to air contamination.

Electric cars may save the day in this regard - if greedy guts stop with the SUVS and diesel burners.

(Question: how does oil burning heat affect indoor air quality?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
(Question: how does oil burning heat affect indoor air quality?)

In theory the products of combustion are vented to the outside so there shouldn't be a problem.

OTOH, I remember Lisa talking about the fact her oil furnace made a big mess in her basement, which would mean not everything was going up the chimney. Assuming Lisa's furnace is working correctly, I can see how having an oil furnace would negatively affect indoor air quality.

[Disclaimer] I have never seen an oil furnace in my life. Everything here is either gas or electric.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have had a Blueair filter in my bedroom for years.
The bedroom is my refuge. I get hours away from pollen when I go to bed.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Before you buy an air filter check reviews for noise level.
Had a Honeywell that was as loud as an airliner taking off.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have a ventless gas fireplace in the place we rent. I'm sure it isn't the best for indoor air quality...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
We have a ventless gas fireplace in the place we rent. I'm sure it isn't the best for indoor air quality...

I have never heard of a ventless gas fireplace. HairRaising

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They do exist.

https://www.thespruce.com/vent...s-fireplaces-4160746

I could never have one; they give me a headache pretty quickly....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have asthma...

I had a new fangled heating forced air system

Then I got a divorce and moved to an old house..

With steam radiators...Ahh....Best system evah...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post