well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Uber Eats

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uber Eats
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I got an email with a $25 coupon for Uber Eats and decided to try it. I don’t feel like going out.

The app is a hot mess. Do they test this stuff? Will I ever get my dinner?

Film at 11.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have only tried Door Dash, once..The guy was here in a hot minute and I mean hot. The food was fresh from the oven. (Downtown is only a mile away).

But I have not used it since. Shrug

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ha! It worked!

I got my dinner and it was quite good. Pretty much on time.

Downsides. The app kept telling me I seemed to be a long way from the delivery site. No way to check, no way to correct. I wasn’t sure what that meant.

Turns out there are three different streets in town called “Salem”, and Uber Eats auto filled the wrong one. Cleverly, I could see where the driver was and text him a message with directions to the right street.

#2. I had a $25 coupon. I bought $24.50 worth of food, according to the menu. When I got to the screen with the total it was $10.78.

Do I owe this on top of the coupon? Will I get another email suggesting I use the rest of the coupon? Dunno, but they don’t have my credit card # so they’ll have to work it out.

Surely Uber Eats can do better than this.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
24.50 may be the price of the food, but then they load on fees. Paying UberEats, paying the driver, the tip if you tipped.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have not used Uber Eats.
Have had good results with Door Dash and Grub Hub in Tucson. They don't do much around my Colorado home.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We use Doordash pretty regularly since a couple years before the pandemic with mostly great results. We pay the $10 a month for Dashpass and it has worked out pretty well. I can get great sushi to my door with no delivery fee and reduced overall fees. I've used other services with not as good results.

But that is all they do. Uber Eats has a higher markup and is simply using excess capacity. But I suspect a lot of drivers drive for several entities - Uber, Lyft, Doordash, Instacart...

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Just found this article on the WSJ. It wasn't paywalled.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/w...11620466200?mod=e2tw

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I hit a paywall....but I think I found alternatives...

https://www.morningstar.com/ne...-is-costing-you-more

https://eresearch.fidelity.com...SDJONLINE000127&sb=1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Around here, restaurants use them but don’t like them. Customers are encouraged to order from the restaurant directly and have their staff do the delivery.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I see what they did. They charged the $10.78 to my Uber account, which is tied to a credit card.

The way the app works, I thought I was looking at total cost with fee, but it was food only. It was also quite expensive for what I got. Good thing I had the coupon.

I doubt I’ll use it again.