well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Blast! from the past...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Blast! from the past...
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
A bittersweet album for me.

This is my Dad's original album from 1958. I found a box of his old albums in my basement a few weeks ago and thankfully, this was in that box. I believe this was the very first piece of music I ever heard while still in the womb. From this exact piece of vinyl too! Dad used to blast this on his Philco stereo system with 15" woofers, electrostatic tweeters, and tube amps. Mom would always ask him why he had to play it so loud. "I need to test the system!" was usually his reply. She told me that the windows in the house would rattle. Big Grin

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

I cleaned it very thoroughly this morning before playing it. Unfortunately, 65 years of non-optimal storage and lack of proper record care have taken their toll on it. It has several audible scratches that are not repairable. I will be on the hunt for a better condition copy of this exact pressing. This one will never be discarded as it holds too much sentimental value for me.

Those cannons! Wow! Fortunately most of the album still sounds very good including the cannon sections.

I'm even playing it on a tube amp as he did so many years ago.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Way cool!

I'm pretty sure that's the same version my parents had and that they played on their Grundig Majestic unit. Long gone (the album and the console), but I remember the music well. Some of the first classical music I ever heard.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Those Mercury Presence albums were great. Some of them were reissued on CD back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Oh, and your turntable and amp look like a mighty fancy setup.... ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
we're going to go down to Rockford into the basement of Toad Hall records where they keep all the classical stuff and go hunting.

The Turntable is new to me as of Sunday. Got a steal of a deal on it and the guy who sold it to me is letting me evaluate the tube amp for a possible purchase. It's a great amp hand made in Peoria, IL by a company called Decware. They have a two year waiting list for a new amp.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I saw this article yesterday and thought of you.

https://www.dailyherald.com/su...-3-in-mount-prospect

I wonder if "Bob, Bob, and Fred" are anything like "Larry, Darryl, and Darryl" from the Newhart show. Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very cool’. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post