well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    $100 for getting the vax

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$100 for getting the vax
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
My take: rewarding bad behavior.

They should tax people $100 a month for every month they don’t get the shot.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
A couple of days ago my sports medicine doc thanked me, rather emphatically, for being fully vaccinated.

I do not understand why he simply doesn't refuse service to anyone who isn't fully vaccinated. He's booked out for months. He's the best doc around (after 12 years of torment, he has finally figured out the underlying cause of my peripheral neuropathy--something countless MDs have failed to do over all these years.)

Same with stores, rstaurants, service providers of all kinds. If they all had signs on their doors that said, "no shoes, no shirt, no vaccine card, no service," we'd be a helluva lot closer to full coverage. Not to mention all employers and schools requiring it.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of momentum out there already. I posted one example in the COVID odds and ends thread

More:

A whole bunch of companies either requiring vaccines or offering incentives.

Broadway

Emmys

Plus there are lots more, including various government agencies (federal, state, local) actively considering the requirement.

In Chicago, the Lollapalooza music festival is requiring proof of vaccination or a negative test for people to gain entry. That's good, but there's no mask requirement, so any breakthrough cases among the vaccinated will mean new cases. It's an interesting test, with 100K people attending each day for four days.

The schools (except for universities, where a vaccination requirement is pretty much a given) is a whole other ballgame. Around here elementary and high school districts are a war between the mask and don't mask crowd. I have no idea what will happen if a vaccination is required.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand why health insurance companies aren't providing cash back for fully vaccinated, or a no-vaccination fee for those who are refusing but have no medical reason to do so.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
As COVID case numbers tick up again, but most people who are being hospitalized are among the unvaccinated, some people are floating the idea that health insurance companies could or should charge a premium for anyone who doesn't get the shot.

"They do charge more for smokers, but that's really the exception and not the rule," said Brandeis University's Michael Doonan, the executive director of the Massachusetts Health Policy Forum.

Doonan said it would be difficult to charge a premium on an individual basis while the vaccines are under emergency use authorization -- even though the unvaccinated are costing insurers more.

quote:
But, Doonan said, those increased insurance costs will likely be recouped another way -- through employers.

"Companies who are negotiating with insurance companies, if they have a whole bunch of employees who are unvaccinated and their costs go up this year, next year their premiums are going to go through the roof," Doonan said.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news...nvaccinated/2439579/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My uni can't yet mandate because the vaccine is still not fully authorized. But we're making life more difficult for those who want to exercise their "freedom."

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So the challenge to Indiana University's vaccine policy was denied.

edit: And here's the National Law Review's take:

https://www.natlawreview.com/a...university-s-vaccine

What's different for you guys?

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Don't know. Haven't paid much attention because I'm not teaching next year.

We'll likely have very few refuseniks, however. Most of our students have a few IQ points to rub together, and even our right-wingers don't seem particularly anti-science. They'll also respond to the negative incentives for remaining vectors.

We're still tallying the numbers who remain unvaccinated. That's problematic because people have been told to log into a particular website (Kallaco) and upload a picture of their card. The fact that "only 75%" have done so doesn't really tell us the story of who is truly unvaccinated.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Lollapalooza is an outdoor music festival, which has a lower potential for transmission, but many of the people are staying somewhere overnight...

Chicago's 7 day rolling average of tested postives is currently up to 206 (mid 30ish early June).

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I still don't understand why health insurance companies aren't providing cash back for fully vaccinated, or a no-vaccination fee for those who are refusing but have no medical reason to do so.

From Kaiser Health News:

quote:
Analysis: Don’t Want a Vaccine? Be Prepared to Pay More for Insurance.

https://khn.org/news/article/a...-more-for-insurance/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Don't know. Haven't paid much attention because I'm not teaching next year.

We'll likely have very few refuseniks, however. Most of our students have a few IQ points to rub together, and even our right-wingers don't seem particularly anti-science. They'll also respond to the negative incentives for remaining vectors.

We're still tallying the numbers who remain unvaccinated. That's problematic because people have been told to log into a particular website (Kallaco) and upload a picture of their card. The fact that "only 75%" have done so doesn't really tell us the story of who is truly unvaccinated.

We're dealing with the same issue here. Part of the challenge is that most faculty are still on summer break. There is a difference between "I'm telling you no," vs no response.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post