well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No Interpreter Left Behind

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Interpreter Left Behind
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I kept thinking, after everything I did for the Americans,” he said. “After all my hard work and risking my life, now this is what happens to my family? They are leaving us to die here.”

Frowner

P.S. This story might have a happy ending, but how many others will not?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Another interpreter's story I have been following on NPR.. Reggie and his familiy has made it out.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
US special operations vets carry out daring mission to save Afghan allies

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-s...carry-090023869.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
an all-volunteer group of American veterans of the Afghan war launched a final daring mission on Wednesday night dubbed the "Pineapple Express" to shepherd hundreds of at-risk Afghan elite forces and their families to safety

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Scum-sucking scumbag Erik Prince (Blackwater head mercenary, brother of the evil Betsy deVos) says he will get anyone out of Kabul airport on a private jet for a fee, starting at $6500. More if he has to get you to the airport.

What kind of person looks at a crisis and thinks “how can I get filthy rich off this?”

https://thehill.com/policy/int...-kabul-for-6500-each

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, in South Korea....

quote:
As hundreds of Afghan evacuees landed safely in South Korea on Thursday, children were given teddy bears and met with welcome banners at Seoul’s Incheon airport.

“We love all of you,” read one banner from a church group that was displayed outside the National Human Resources Development Institute, where those who fled Afghanistan are reported to be temporarily housed. “We will share your pain. Have a comfortable stay,” read another.

Among those landing in the country are medical professionals and interpreters who have worked for the South Korean government, and an estimated 100 children — including three newborns.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post