Find
Notify
Tools

Deals
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ALDIs ran beef tenderloin roasts for $10.99/lb last week and Sharon bought one. That’s about half price - a genuine bargain. I’ve never cooked one as $20/lb. is even more expensive than my regular holiday favorite - standing rib roast aka Prime Rib.

Where has this roast been all of my life? It’s basically a long skinny Filet Mignon and the center of it is sold as Chateubriand. Great flavor and the most tender beef roast I have ever eaten. No bones means less waste, and it’s so rich that a 5# roast fed 14 with neatly half left over.

It requires a bit of butchery to prepare but it was easy enough to do once I watched a few videos. You have to tie it up so it cooks evenly - not difficult and very showy. Cooks very quickly too - about 40 minutes total.

I’ll be watching the ALDIs ad for another one to serve at New Years. Alton Brown has a recipe for Yorkshire Pudding on line (made in a food processor and much flashier/more reliable than the way Mom made it) that will make the perfect side.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I see that tenderloin in the Aldi finds. Good find, Steve!

And on a completely different note...anyone need an igloo?

https://www.costco.com/.produc...-a1c5-cc2f4e41d174-0

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Don’t need one but it’s very cool! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Just saw two ads.

Trade in any iPhone in any condition and T Mobile will give you an iPhone 15, an iPad AND an Apple Watch. The service costs the same as any other service - they make their money on data scraping. I have no reason to think ATT doesn’t gather data the same way and if I was in the market for a new phone I’d probably make the switch.

Metro, a T Mobile company, is offering 5G home internet service for $20/month. No mention of how fast it is but it’s likely fast enough for home use.

If it’s available in your area it sounds like one hell of a deal.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
And on a completely different note...anyone need an igloo?

That would be a nice surround for your hot tub.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
ALDIs ran beef tenderloin roasts for $10.99/lb last week and Sharon bought one. That’s about half price - a genuine bargain. I’ve never cooked one as $20/lb. is even more expensive than my regular holiday favorite - standing rib roast aka Prime Rib.

Where has this roast been all of my life? It’s basically a long skinny Filet Mignon and the center of it is sold as Chateubriand. Great flavor and the most tender beef roast I have ever eaten. No bones means less waste, and it’s so rich that a 5# roast fed 14 with neatly half left over.

It requires a bit of butchery to prepare but it was easy enough to do once I watched a few videos. You have to tie it up so it cooks evenly - not difficult and very showy. Cooks very quickly too - about 40 minutes total.

I’ll be watching the ALDIs ad for another one to serve at New Years. Alton Brown has a recipe for Yorkshire Pudding on line (made in a food processor and much flashier/more reliable than the way Mom made it) that will make the perfect side.

They had them at my Aldi today...tons of them...they were in this week's ad.

I bought a very small bone-in rib roast for us for Christmas. If you have that Yorkshire pudding recipe handy, please post the link.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Alton Brown Yorkshire pudding.

Also in this video.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Looks great...

Now, got any tips for preparing a bone-in rib roast? As far as I can recall, I've never cooked one...am considering doing it sous vide...

https://recipes.anovaculinary..../sous-vide-prime-rib

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Prime rib is tender/fatty enough that sous vide isn't strictly required, but it is the most foolproof method out there. You wont need hours and hours because it's already tender.

Post results?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I would sous vide a rib roast. Hard to get that wonderful crust on it. I'm a fan of slow roasted.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sear Pro culinary torch

It's on my Christmas list.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I don't know that I would sous vide a rib roast. Hard to get that wonderful crust on it. I'm a fan of slow roasted.

You are correct, sous vide is better suited to cuts you are trying to tenderize, but if you are not sure when you want to serve the roast it's very forgiving about time.

I might go with a French sear method - 15 or so minutes @ 425-450F and then reduce heat to like 300F or so until the internal temp is where you want it.

Don't use onion or garlic in the rub if you use one. They will burn and taste nasty.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lowest price in the country!!! Today only!!! (I love these emails)...Lagavulin 16 year old Islay...$70...

https://www.theliquorbarn.com/...0OfEcItSMk%3D.YA6ppA

I checked the price at Binny's, and they're at $100...so this is a legit deal. Liquor Barn is local, not sure if they ship outside of Illinois...

eta: Sale priced today, but $90....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Prime rib is tender/fatty enough that sous vide isn't strictly required, but it is the most foolproof method out there. You wont need hours and hours because it's already tender.

Post results?

It turned out great. For me, a cook who is totally inexperienced when it comes to cooking a big bone-in roast like this, the ease and consistency of sous vide made it a no-brainer. The meat was super tender and flavorful, even though it was a choice cut rather than prime. The 15 minute roasting in a 425 degree oven at the end did a nice job of browning the outside. Maybe not quite the crust that Mik talked about, but plenty good for us.

We're looking forward to roast beef sandwiches on fresh bread tomorrow!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Even better than the igloo...

(the Costco link has a special character in it that causes the URL to get messed up. To see the product, just copy the URL and paste it in another tab...

https://www.costco.com/sunjoy-esquire-9'-x-12'-beyond-shed-outdoor-room---do-it-yourself.product.4000197667.html

Bazootiehead-in-training