well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Paul Krugman Trashes Bitcoin

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paul Krugman Trashes Bitcoin
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
quote:
Bitcoin, the first and biggest cryptocurrency, was introduced in 2009. It uses an encryption key, similar to those used in hard-to-break codes — hence the “crypto” — to establish chains of ownership in tokens that entitle their current holders to … well, ownership of those tokens. And nowadays we use Bitcoin to buy houses and cars, pay our bills, make business investments, and more.

Oh, wait. We don’t do any of those things. Twelve years on, cryptocurrencies play almost no role in normal economic activity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...nytopinion&smtyp=cur

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Seems spot on to me.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yep. What's not to like. A dash of Libertarian ideological "derp," utility for all sorts of dark purchases on the dark web (and for Russian skullduggery), and a helping of Ponzi scheme for the shrewd/unscrupulous to prey upon the clueless.

Oh, and we DO need to worry a bit if western banking and finance institutions begin to take positions. Too big to fail and all that ...

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post