well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Book an un-vacation in Kyiv

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book an un-vacation in Kyiv
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Volodymyr Bondarenko spends most of his day holed up in his apartment in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv.

Between listening for air-raid sirens and frantically messaging family for updates, he trades messages with a flurry of Airbnb guests booking his one-bedroom rental in the heart of Ukraine's capital.

Sometimes, he sends a crying emoji. Other times, the praying hands emoji. It's his way of thanking those who are booking his apartment -- even though they have no intention of ever showing up at his door.

Airbnb hosts in Ukraine are being flooded with bookings from people all over the world who have no plans to visit. It's part of a creative social media campaign to funnel money to besieged Ukrainians who need financial assistance as Russian forces bombard their country and cut off services.

The idea has picked up momentum. On March 2 and March 3, guests from around the world booked more than 61,000 nights in Ukraine, according to an Airbnb spokesperson. More than half of those nights were booked by Americans, the spokesperson said.

CNN spoke to people in the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia who've booked Ukrainian rentals on Airbnb in recent days.

"More than 10 bookings came in today. This was surprising, it's very supportive at the moment," Bondarenko, 36, told CNN early Friday. "I told many of my relatives and friends that I plan to use this money to help our people who need it at this time."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/art...tions-cec/index.html

Airbnb is waiving fees for properties in Ukraine.

But there will probably be scammers, too....

https://twitter.com/SimonCalde...Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering where to send money so it actually helps people...

How about aid to those that made it to other countries? Has anyone found ways to give where the money doesn't have many administrative fees for the organization?

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post