well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Indictment

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Indictment
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
In Full

Never seen an indictment with sentences like this ...

"I'll obviously help to hustle on all fronts, but it's tough to own any of this when it's all just conspiracy **** beamed down from the mothership."

Posts: 12542 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I want a firing squad.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12542 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pence made Jan. 6 a key focus of his June campaign launch in Iowa, suggesting that Trump’s actions that day disqualified him from being president again. While he doesn’t typically mention Jan. 6 in his stump speeches on the campaign trail, he reiterated Tuesday that the latest indictment “serves as an important reminder: Anyone who puts himself over the Constitution should never be president of the United States.”

“The former president is entitled to the presumption of innocence, but with this indictment, his candidacy means more talk about January 6th and more distractions,” Pence said in a statement. “On January 6th, former President Trump demanded that I choose between him and the Constitution. I chose the Constitution and I always will.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...00-times/ar-AA1eFEq1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Trump's own attorney general talks about the indictments.

quote:
“Loyalty is a one-way street for [Trump],” Barr told CNN Wednesday night. “And in many ways, these two people down in Mar-a-Lago [Nauta and De Oliveira] represent many Republicans who feel that they have to man the ramparts and defend this guy no matter what he does and go along with him.”

“I think they have to be careful or they’re going end up as part of the carnage in his wake,” he continued.

quote:
While Barr said on Wednesday that it will be “very hard” to persuade Republicans that the latest indictment “isn’t political,” he also said he believes the case is “legitimate.”

“As a legal matter, I don’t see a problem with the indictment,” he said. “I think that it’s not an abuse. The Department of Justice is not acting to weaponize the department by proceeding against the president for a conspiracy to subvert the electoral process.”

https://thehill.com/regulation...t-in-trumps-carnage/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
On Trump's possible First Amendment defense.

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/...amendment-indictment

Barr opines on this, too:

quote:
He said the argument by Trump attorney John Lauro that the Jan. 6 indictment was an "attack on free speech and political advocacy, and there's nothing that's more protected under the First Amendment than political speech," was not valid. This was because the indictment states that the DOJ was not attacking Trump's First Amendment rights, Barr said.

"He can say whatever he wants. He can even lie. He can even tell people that the election was stolen, when he knew better," Barr said of Trump.

"But that does not protect you from entering into a conspiracy. All conspiracies involve speech, and all fraud involves speech. So, free speech doesn't give you the right to engage in a fraudulent conspiracy."

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/...ee-speech-claim-barr

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We don't criminally prosecute our political enemies in this country.

We'd all be screaming bloody murder if this were a Democrat.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd like to think I wouldn't. Because I think Trump's actions did really break the law.

But it's a interesting thought exercise for everyone on both sides of the aisle to consider a hypothetical like the one you propose.

quote:
We don't criminally prosecute our political enemies in this country.

I'm sure I'll be called naive, but I'd like to believe that isn't what Jack Smith and the grand jury are doing here.

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think so, not if it were a dem who did exactly what Trump did....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I dunno, as WTG maybe I'm naive. In any case, there's no way to know, so it's all speclative...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Happy Arraignment Day to all who celebrate

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'll take arraign check ...