well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Explosion in Nashville
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explosion in Nashville
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
911 caller says there were shots fired downtown. Police arrive and RV full of explosives blows up. Three cops slightly injured, one with what they hope is temporary hearing loss.

Damage to buildings in a several block radius. Large trees near the bomb ripped out of the ground.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/larg...-downtown-nashville/

Frowner

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37971 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Photo of the vehicle.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crim...nashville-explosion/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37971 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very strange story. The recorded message, the location of the RV away from centers of population, and the spectacular power of the bomb - none of this makes sense.

Signs point to incompetence rather than ideology.

We shall see.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Actually sounds like the MO of ETA, the Basque organization. They used to plant bombs and then issue warnings to reduce the likelihood of casualties. The campaign was against institutions of the state/order to make a point. But they clearly let the authorities know whose work it was. I'm guessing whoever did this will have left some intentional clues. We'll see.

Posts: 12551 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
There are 40 something tweets in his thread, but worth reading his thought process. (Hat tip GeorgeK /TNCR)

https://twitter.com/AlexLittle.../1342586114771714048

Smiler Jodi

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/photo...et=a.100840766618002

The explosion took out a single commercial communications hub.

And THAT crippled the city. It took down the airport. Took down emergency services and police communications. Took down data and the internet, which crippled news, information services, social media, and thus both government and the public's awareness and ability to respond.

And yet, the terrorists took pains to reduce the number of human casualties. Why?

Unless this is a Bruce Willis Christmas movie involving international criminals covering up the theft of billions in bearer bonds, then the odds are very high this was a probing attack -- a test by our enemies foreign OR domestic.

This used to be my job. Cut a critical comms node, see what effect it has on the target, how long it takes to restore, how the adversary responds. Of course, that was war.

This is either something similar, or the terrorists got incredibly lucky.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Still down -- my sister and one nephew's family (nowhere near the blast, totally OK) are still without cell service.

markj--I hope you're not right, but it makes sense to me that what you say is correct. One thing I thought of is how vulnerable our communications infrastructure is. Here's a critical comms center right in the middle of downtown, in a busy tourist area, and a potentially "obvious" terrorist target. Ugh.

My bias in a lot of these is to assume the terrorists just got incredibly lucky. I always tend to lean toward incompetence/stupidity rather than a highly sophisticated plan. Obviously I'm not correct in a lot of cases. One of the things that concerns me (not having read the tweets above in Jodi's thread) is the idea that they gave 15 minutes' warning, then waited until people (and police) arrived or started coming back, then detonated the device. This is a pretty classic terrorist move, intended to maximize casualties.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless this is a Bruce Willis Christmas movie involving international criminals covering up the theft of billions in bearer bonds, then the odds are very high this was a probing attack -- a test by our enemies foreign OR domestic.

Intriguing idea. If it's foreign, the administration could easily interpret the event as a cassus belli and act accordingly.

Posts: 12551 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Read the tweets - its about the talking points - the possibilities.

Smiler Jodi

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep - and what does it mean that only a handful of the possibilities seem to be utterly ridiculous? What a year.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes. What a year.

Posts: 24741 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Tennessee is a hotbed of right wing nuts.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25722 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Yep - and what does it mean that only a handful of the possibilities seem to be utterly ridiculous? What a year.

No kidding.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
LEBANON, Tenn. (WKRN) – Highway 231 South in Wilson County is closed due to a suspicious vehicle.

***ROAD CLOSURE***

Highway 231 South from the Cedars of Lebanon State Park to Richmond Shop road is currently shut down due to a suspicious vehicle. Please avoid the area and seek an alternate route. We will post updates as more information comes in.
— Wilson Co Sheriff (@wilsonsheriff) December 27, 2020
Highway 231 South is closed from the Cedars of Lebanon State Park to Richmond Shop road.

The Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the scene and said deputies are investigating a box truck parked at a store “playing audio similar to the Christmas explosion in Nashville.”

Sheriff’s deputies in Rutherford and Wilson Counties are investigating a box truck parked at a store playing audio similar to the Christmas explosion in Nashville.

The driver was stopped by deputies and detained.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/loca...-suspicious-vehicle/

Bazootiehead-in-training