well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Extra Good News about the New Bivalent Vaccines
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extra Good News about the New Bivalent Vaccines
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
They promise not only to be more effective than just fighting original strains (AND the newest prevailing ones) but owing to the nature of viruses, they will be effective against strains yet to evolve.

True, though, they may be hard to get for a while and pursued less aggressively owing to "vaccine fatigue". They are also being less persuasively presented than in the past, which may be just as well for now, as there isn't yet a mechanism in place for distribution.

Their proactive potential is very heartening, though.

There's terrific news about the new bivalent boosters but few are hearing it

Missing Dr. Fauci! Frowner

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The bivalent boosters from Pfizer and Moderna which target the original strain and also BA.4/5 have been available since the day after Labor Day. Even my friend in isolated Sequim, WA (pop 8000) was able to get her booster last Wednesday at Walgreens.

Is there a "new new" bivalent vaccine? Or are you referring to new classes of vaccines (including inhaled versions) that are yet to be developed?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
as there isn't yet a mechanism in place for distribution.

Walgreens has them.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I spoke improperly about their availability. Should have stressed the inadequate "outreach" so that people aren't moved to get it (with public health implications).

quote:
funding for distributing these vaccines has dried up amid congressional gridlock — Democrats did not put new pandemic funding in the March spending package because it could cut into stimulus funds for states, and they now face Republican resistance to new pandemic funding. There will most likely be fewer of the dedicated vaccine outreach centers that were set up before.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My wife is getting hers toward the end of the month. I will wait a while past my current bout with Omicron.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Got mine Tuesday. Felt no side effects. Took a Zyrtec and hour before.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm a bit of a hold-out, not wanting to be first in line. Hoping to hear more about reactions. After all, I got the 8th day Moderna reaction no one had an inkling existed. Not serious, but just a single example of unforeseen results.

If I had to fly or participate in a crowded indoor event, I might be nudged into getting it. Come to think of it, I need to check the synagogue to learn how they're going to handle the High Holiday services. We haven't gotten together for them for the whole Covid period. Our rabbi isn't a youngster so their policies have been extra cautious.

(I wonder too how soon the nasal vaccine is apt to be available. Results in China certainly amount to a large clinical trial.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From June 2022, work being done in Canada on an inhaled vaccine.

https://theconversation.com/in...human-testing-181772

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
There have have been no trials on humans because-- "we don't have time." Sigh.

I'm going to pass.

But this isn't a hard decision for me. I'd already decided I would probably pass before this vaccine was announced.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My Covid booster is scheduled for next week at CVS. Got my flu shot and my second shingles shot yesterday.

Got the whooping cough shot about 2 years ago and I'm checking to see if I need to update my pneumonia shot. Tetanus is up to date.

Have I missed any?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There is more than one pneumonia vaccine; each covers a bunch of (different) strains of pneumonia bacteria.

A lot of doctors recommend getting one of them, and a year later a different one. You only need to get one shot of any given type.

So you need to know which shot you got originally, and don't get that one again.

Did you get whooping cough separately? I thought it was only bundled with tetanus and diptheria. And it has an especially long duration of immunity, something like 30 years. Tetanus (as part of a tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis combo) is usually given once every 10 years.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's a ton more you could get, especially if you plan to travel:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v...ccines-diseases.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The lady at CVS said I should know which pneumonia shot I got, but the newest one is new enough that it wouldn't matter. It's only been out for about a year and my last shot was pre-Povid.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
CDC recommendations regarding pneumonia vaccines:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v...en-to-vaccinate.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'd like to get the pneumonia vaccine but insurance won't cover it because of my age.

I'm old enough to get pneumonia. GoneMad

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post