well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Let's talk about sofas and furniture!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk about sofas and furniture!
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
That’s a very nice rug for a room palate. I wouldn’t go too far from that in another room. You want the style of the house to flow from room to room and it would seem you like warm earthtones. You could easily add some greens, maybe oranges?

Thank you, this is helpful! And we do like warm earthtones, I esp like greens too.

The piano room (and this rug) will be at the front of the house, bc that's where the dining room is (repurposed as piano room). So it will set the tone for the house, even though it's not like people will walk through it necessarily.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This isn't to say that Navajo White wouldn't be a great color for you, more to point out that all off-whites aren't the same.

Don't I know it!! It's sooo hard to choose whites.

Anyway, I've been looking at the listing photos again and I think (I hope!) the current color at the new house will work.

We loved navajo white at our old house, but it's probably fine if we don't use it at the new one.

Although, your post is reminding me that I'm not fond of yellow, so we do need to be careful about the colors we choose for the bedrooms (one of which will be my home office) because the bedrooms have carpeting and the color we were going to use (which we used at the old house) might actually look a bit too yellow in there... hmmm

We got samples so we'll check it out first of course.

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
At the risk of alienating Nina, we let some designer talk us into painting my formerly bright coral family room Accessible Beige.

I freaking HATE it. It's muddy and dull in this room (natural light is a factor). Can't wait to redo it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Not too much to add. My parents had a Flexsteel sofa that was very durable. We have a leather Flexsteel power recliner sofa in our family room that is holding up very well. It replace a high-end leather sofa from an upscale shop that was a major disapointment.

The most interesting pieces we own are the living room sofa and shair that we purchased back in the 1970s. The havw worn like iron and still look good. They are built on a structural foam foundation rather than conventional framing. I was somewhat dubious when we bought them, but we had been looking for a long time and most of the styles then in vogue were not comfortable for a man my size and height. These pieces were very comfortable and attractively priced. When I went to look at the underside of the sofa in the store, I almost threw it across the room. It was that light in weight.

I looked at the tag underneath the chair today. They were made by Overman USA in Tennessee. That company is still in busness and I looked up their website. Their products that I purchased are frankly one of the most amazing values I ever encountered.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no accessible beige for me either. I prefer off-whites and creams that have white as the base. A lot of beiges actually have gray as the base, so I have trust issues with them.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Our living room is "Simply Irresistible" by Benjamin Moore - it's an off white - works well for us.

As for sofas. Long ago, I wrote a post that I joked I planned to turn into a book called "Sofas Choice" - a play on Pique's book on her search for her piano.

The long and short of it was I had a cheap sofa bed that I had bought from a Sears outlet store. It had pink and white stripes - but was very comfortable. I had it for about 15 years. It was my wife's FAVORITE thing in the house. She joked that if the house were on fire, she'd put the bird cage on the couch and shove the shole thing out the door of the house.

BUt it had seen better days. I'd only paid a couple of hundred dollars for the sofa bed - and there was over a thousand dollar quote to recover it. I thought it would be easy to find something just as good...

I WAS WRONG...very wrong...as wrong as I have ever been.

We spent thousands of dollars on multiple couches - none of which were as comfortable as that cheap, crappy sofa-bed from Sears.

The current couch is a custom designed piece we bought from Macy's. We bought a cover for it immediately after purchase as we hated the look of it. I recently bought a couple of slip covers from Amazon along with a throw that we use to cover it. I took a piece of plywood for under the cushions to provide better support. It is the couch we will have when the last of us is carried out of here as both my wife and I never want to endure a sofa search again.

The sofa of our dreams...

Current Sofa

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
kluurs, hope you don't mind...I uploaded your photos to postimages because it didn't look like they were displaying properly....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Klurrs, your story is pretty much what I'm expecting to encounter. -_-

It's always ironic when you have "cheap" thing and you think you can replace it, and it turns out, no, you can't replace it because nothing else on the market is as good. It shouldn't be this complicated to get a comfortable sofa.

If I spend a few thousand dollars on a sofa, and have to add a plywood board under the cushions, I'm not going to be happy.