well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone here a modern art expert? Or up for an internet research project? :-)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here a modern art expert? Or up for an internet research project? :-)
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
I bought this set of weird miniature metal chair sculptures a few years ago at a yard sale because I thought they were amusing. They are signed "C. Royal 1998" on the back. They sat in the shoebox they came in until a few months ago when I dug them out and decided to research them. I can find very little information about them, but what I have found seems to indicate that they could be worth a bit of money.

Alas, my usually spot-on internet research skills are falling short this time. I've been searching on and off for months and I can't find much about Christopher Royal which is apparently the full name of C. Royal. I also suspect that most if not all of these sculptures are intended to pay tribute to other artists. The one with the birdcage and the apple is definitely Magritte, the one to the left of that one is definitely a copy of a Kandinsky painting, and the one to the right is giving off strong Frank Lloyd Wright vibes. Alas, while I suspect the others are also copies of or tributes to famous paintings/artists (they all look vaguely familiar), I have no idea who. I've tried google lens and gotten nothing except other small aluminum sculptures.

Anyone know what art/artists these are based on? Or feel like seeing what you can dig up on them? Here's hoping your google skills are better than mine!

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Worthpoint lists a Royal item from eBay. Presumably this description is by the eBay seller...

quote:
Rare Vintage Art Deco Metal Sculpture Mini Chair by Christopher Royal, @1998 This is a beautiful art deco style sculpture by Christopher Royal, whose works in the 90's were featured in Tiffany & Co.'s store windows. It is a mini-chair, part of a collection done in the mid to late 90's, and it is truly something to gaze upon. It's color is a charcoal gray contrasting with a silver gray, with no golden undertones(that is simply the lighting in my studio). The length being a bit taller than an Iphone 5 and a bit wider than half of that length, it is perfect as an accent to your workdesk for inspiration, or let others see it in your library to show your appreciation of sculpture art. It has never been cleaned or maintained, simply stowed away for someone to appreciate the art at a later time, and shows regular signs of age/wear. I did not take the liberty to clean it, as some appreciate the aging of metal, though if you should so feel the need, a good cleaning could make it good as new. The sculpture could also be used as a card, picture, postcard holder upon your desk, as the chair's armrest and most of the metal is completely flexible to move in the direction you like for your use, therefore it is multifunctional. Please read more about Christopher Royal below, to see the artistic genius you're dealing with. You could also take a look at his website and see the workings he is up to now. Christopher Royal Christopher Royal is a principal designer for Rockledge Design Studios, an art-furniture manufacturer located in Florida. A native of North Carolina, Mr. Royal moved to Chicago after graduating from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and began making and selling a successful line of contemporary jewelry. His fascination with architecture and design led Royal to create a series of miniature chair sculptures made from brass, copper, steel, glass and intricate beadwork which became popular sellers at the Museum Of Contemporary Art here in Chicago. In 1995 his art chairs were displayed in the windows of Tiffany & Company, and Royal went on to design and build sculptural display pieces for countless Tiffany windows over the next several years. At the same time, Royal's "Art Chairs" were selling in galleries across the country and eventually became so popular that he could no longer keep up with the demand of producing such labor-intensive handwork. This led to the creation of a new line of miniature chairs cut from nickel silver and copper which have a clip incorporated into the design in order to hold photos, place cards, business cards, etc. Soon Royal was represented in over 400 retail locations in the US, Canada, Europe, South America, and Asia. In the fall of 1998, Royal began a partnership with Rockledge Design Studios and developed a line of full sized furniture including chairs, barstools, tables, lamps, mirrors and accessories.

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...pture-mini-518528031

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's the eBay activity (actually sold) for his items:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Current listings, but some are the full size chairs, not the miniatures:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...chair&_sacat=0&rt=nc

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And this person on Etsy is selling some pieces, "thinning my collection". Maybe they have some additional biographical info?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1...ganic_search_click=1

I'm not finding much about Royal. He did an outdoor mural at a Metra station on the north side, and apparently he worked at Harpo (Oprah's production studio) at one time. I tried finding interviews with him, but nothing came up. I have a friend who is into this type of art and who lived in Chicago up until a few years ago. I'll ping her and see if she's heard of him.

eta: My friend Pat, who used to attend most every contemporary art show and frequented most every art gallery in the city and burbs, doesn't remember seeing anything by Royal. But she thinks your miniatures are pretty cool....

Bazootiehead-in-training

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
second from right on the bottom looks like Picasso to me.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
oooo pique, I think you are right!

And WTG -- you have gotten a lot farther than I did! Impressive! Thanks!

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post