well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Congress, not getting it done

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Congress, not getting it done
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The U.S. Congress is navigating yet another government funding deadline — the eighth in less than six months — and are at an impasse over sending aid to key allies in Ukraine, Taiwan and Israel. Divisions among Republicans in the House and Senate killed a major bipartisan border policy bill. Reforms to bedrock programs like Medicare and Social Security are desperately needed but no closer to getting passed. Meanwhile, the House of Representatives spent close to a month without a speaker last year due to infighting between moderate and hard right factions of the Republican party.

When U.S. Representative Chip Roy, a Republican from Texas, begged his colleagues in November to “give me one thing I can campaign on and say we did,” he was articulating what many lawmakers and observers were feeling: Congress isn’t working.

https://www.reuters.com/graphi...placement=newsletter

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37954 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Ken Buck just announced he’s leaving Congress early, saying Congress is “dysfunctional” and “this place has just devolved into this bickering and nonsense, and not really doing the job for the American people.“

“We’ve taken impeachment and made it a social media issue as opposed to a constitutional concept. This place just keeps going downhill, and I don’t need to spend my time here.”

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Another choice quote:

“Too many Republican leaders are lying to America.”

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Neither Mike Johnson nor Steve Scalise got notification before Buck resigned.

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/...can-retire-house-gop

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37954 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
WASHINGTON - Today, Congressman Ted W. Lieu (D-Los Angeles County) issued the following statement on the retirement of Congressman Ken Buck (R-CO) from Congress.

"My friend Ken Buck and I got to know each other well when we were both elected as the Freshman class presidents of our respective caucuses in 2015. What I have always appreciated about him is that, even though we’re largely ideological opposites, Ken has been willing to find policy areas where we can find common ground. That’s what legislating is all about. I’ll miss having him as an ally on issues related to privacy and artificial intelligence, among others. I have admired that throughout his time in Congress, Ken has been independent-minded and consistent in his convictions. Ken was not afraid of swimming against the political tides because of the power of his principles. Ken embodies the definition of political courage. I wish him the best as he soon embarks on a new chapter in his life of service."

https://lieu.house.gov/media-c...-retirement-congress

Bazootiehead-in-training