well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A plumbing find

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A plumbing find
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
The sink strainer that was installed in our Corian kitchen sink in 1992 finally gave up the ghost. Locking ring corroded and cracked and it was leaking, so off to Home Depot I went.

Was going to pick up the same style as the old model, which is a very basic strainer. Glanced up to the top shelf and saw some cool packaging that got my attention and after a quick look at the reviews for it (lots of five star reviews), I decided to try it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KR...ner-ST-2HD/315273709

The gasket is genius (you can see the ridges in the top of it in the second photo in the HD listing), no plumbers putty required, and the double cup style seems to be a good way to avoid leaks. Had it installed in 10 minutes and had no leaks after my first shot at connecting everything together. That usually doesn't happen.

I'm definitely not plumber material though. Crawling around in cabinets isn't for me, but having a phone to take pictures so you can get a better look without as many contortions is pretty nice....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37997 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice design! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34995 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I saw that other manufacturers have the double cup design. I rarely do plumbing, so this was news to me. Has it been around for a while and I'm just not in the loop?

The Kraus had a nice feel to it, and I liked that the lower cup is plastic. No corrosion. Also, the stopper is da cat's pajamas. Much better at keeping water in the sink than our old one...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37997 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t know. I don’t do much plumbing and tend to stick with the classics, In this case the the Kohler chrome over solid brass surprisingly expensive part they’ve made for decades.

Plastic plumbing parts have a lot of advantages provided the manufacturer steps up and uses the right plastic for the application. ABS sewer lines in houses and streets have been a revolution.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34995 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post