well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Job One for Biden: A Voting Rights Bill

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Job One for Biden: A Voting Rights Bill
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I hope Biden doesn’t get distracted with stuff like Obamacare.

First order of business is to cement the voting changes that removed obstacles to voting. I imagine voting experts know how to write a solid bill, but some things are essential.

States must provide enough polling places and machinery such that no one has to wait more than 30 minutes to vote on Election Day.

Early voting must be allowed at least Two weeks before an election, and on at least one weekend.

Voters cannot be purged unless the state notifies the voter at last known address and provides a postage paid card to be returned.

Specify types of ID that must be deemed acceptable.

Any state requiring a state issued ID must not charge for it.

Failure to vote in previous elections cannot be the basis for an automatic purge.

States may not require an excuse to vote absentee and must provide conveniently located, secure drop boxes, and enough drop boxes in proportion to population.

States must notify voters when their ballot is rejected and give opportunity to cure.

States must have a website telling voters if their ballot was received and counted.

For starters.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Gonna need to zap the filibuster to accomplish it.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
How about a completely modern all mail-in voting system. Washington State has one the rest of the country can use as a model.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We also need to restore the original Voting Rights Act. States with a history of voter suppression must have any changes to their rules approved by an independent non-partisan board.

Gerrymandering must be eliminated.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post