well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Take a Stand 8! Wrinkles, anyone?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a Stand 8! Wrinkles, anyone?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Clothing fabric:

Natural or synthetic?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Depends on the clothes.

And sometimes a blend will get you the best of both worlds.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Two words:

Stretch jeans

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Have always leaned toward natural fibers but am willing to consider synthetics more and more these days. Seems like the cotton used now is of lower quality, often shrinking a ridiculous amount (even if it's not machine dried). Or just comes apart at the seams after a short period of time.

Costco tip: The men's Puma socks wear really well. Mr wtg and I are really hard on socks. We have both the no-show and crew versions and have been really happy with them.

Here's the short sock; they don't have the crew socks online right now.

https://www.costco.com/puma-me...oduct.100825224.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm not a clothes horse so I can wear either, although I tend toward a lot of cotton shirts and pants. I haven't noticed them shrinking (maybe the wearer is expanding? Evil). I much prefer cotton underwear.

When it comes to socks, my absolute favorites for a number of years have been the wool REI hiking socks. They almost never wear out and they're thick and pamper my feet very well.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Blended fabrics? But the Bible says...
I opt for cotton when I can. I am "in de bidnezz". I don't wear much of it if I am going to ski because I ski hard
and get sweaty.
Fake wool is usually too hot.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i prefer cotton or wool. I don't like the feeling of nylon.

for many years i wore polyester out of necessity--wearing cotton in the wilderness is an open invitation to hypothermia, and wool was much too scratchy.

but now there is Smart Wool--pure merino, which not only keeps you warm when wet, you can wear the same garment for a week and it never stinks. And it doesn't itch. Love it.

And at my stage of life, the only way I can wear jeans is if they stretch.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Ha! I thought this was going to be recommendations for and thoughts about plastic surgeons. Big Grin

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Not for sheets, but I like mohair, pashmina, and combinations thereof - sometimes with a silk blend.

And plain silk. (How come nobody mentioned silk?)

Which reminds me of something I've always wondered about.

Do you remember when silk used to be fabulously expensive and than all of a sudden the price plummeted? Granted much was thin and easily torn, but even thicker woven silk had become very cheap.

I've always suspected the Chinese had either created a mutant silk moth or else a factory-made silk replacement to export.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
All natural.

(Nearly) all cotton.

All wrinkled, all the time!

When I was working, I washed my dress shirts and slacks, pulled them out of the washer and hung them to dry. It minimized the wrinkles sufficiently.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I wear a lot of stretch knit rayon blends, so comfortable and easy. I hate wearing “hard pants” like jeans.

Went shopping with Mr. AM for pants to wear to work; it’s been 3 years and he, um, needs pants that fit. The quality of slacks at Macy’s has gone way downhill, and they seem to all be made of polyester + recycled polyester. Ew. So we recalibrated for a casual but acceptable look and went for jeans that fit nicely. Hope that works…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Look for the stretch Levi’s - maybe Amazon. They look just like regular Levi’s but the fabric stretches a bit.

I buy the 505s.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Two words:

Stretch jeans

ThumbsUp

The only synthetic clothes I wear are sports stuff, everything else is either natural or a blend. I will not buy any "real" clothes that are 100% poly because eew. They're incredibly hot, it's like wrapping yourself up in Saran Wrap. Plus they can generate a lot of static electricity.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Look for the stretch Levi’s - maybe Amazon. They look just like regular Levi’s but the fabric stretches a bit.

I buy the 505s.

We found that the 511 works for Mr. AM; his current 505s are too baggy in the butt on him.

So I went to Amazon, and every time I put a 511 in my cart, I’d double-check, and find that they’d been replaced by a 510, skinny. Nope.

Oh well.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post