well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I got a flu shot

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got a flu shot
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
I hope it works.

Knock wood.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yep, that’s my plan this year:

Knock wood.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Never got one. I feel like an invincible teenager. Smiler

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Was going to get one, but my doctor discouraged me. Apparently taking Vitamin D is more effective and has a lower risk of side effects.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Was going to get one, but my doctor discouraged me. Apparently taking Vitamin D is more effective and has a lower risk of side effects.

Interesting. Here's a BBC article on the subject of Vitamin D and respiratory infection. It's not flu-specific.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-38988982

There is a commonality between the seasons when flu is the most prevalent and the times when people are outside, and therefore making their own Vitamin D, the least.

(I'll wait for Dr. markb to provide us the perspective from science-based medicine.)

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My doc has been hammering me to take more vitamin D. B-12 too. I dunno.

D is easy enough. Supplementing B-12 makes me break out in a rash. Seems kind of crazy.

An appointment to talk about this this costs several $hundy and is 4 months out. I’ve decided to ignore the advice until my next required physical.

Does being on Medicare make this system make more sense?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Getting on Medicare might have been the most complicated process I have ever encountered.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
My doc has been hammering me to take more vitamin D. B-12 too. I dunno.

D is easy enough. Supplementing B-12 makes me break out in a rash. Seems kind of crazy.

An appointment to talk about this this costs several $hundy and is 4 months out. I’ve decided to ignore the advice until my next required physical.

I take D daily. As a result, my latest blood work says my D bank is not low.

I know that higher doses of niacin, which can help reduce cholesterol, can cause flushing. So I can’t take higher doses of niacin.

Maybe the reaction to B-12 is similar.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
There are a few different versions of B12 - I may be misremembering but they are something like cyanocobalamin, methylcobalamin, adeno-cobalamin. All basically different isotopes of the same molecule. The common one in cheaper supplements is cyanocobalamin but many people need one of the other versions because they can't covert that one. If you still want to try supplementing, you could try to find a supplement that has one of the other versions - IIRC, methyl is the closest version to what your body converts everything into so that may be the one to look for. I know Costco used to carry a b12 that had the methyl version. And if it gives you a rash, Costco will take it back and refund your money.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
There are a few different versions of B12 - I may be misremembering but they are something like cyanocobalamin, methylcobalamin, adeno-cobalamin. All basically different isotopes of the same molecule. The common one in cheaper supplements is cyanocobalamin but many people need one of the other versions because they can't covert that one. If you still want to try supplementing, you could try to find a supplement that has one of the other versions - IIRC, methyl is the closest version to what your body converts everything into so that may be the one to look for. I know Costco used to carry a b12 that had the methyl version. And if it gives you a rash, Costco will take it back and refund your money.

An impressive post. Thanks

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Seems early.
Are they still using vaccines left from last year?

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
From the CDC
“People older than 65 might want to wait a little bit longer and talk to their doctor about that, but if you’re a younger person you can totally get your flu shot now,”

Maybe I have waited long enough. Will get the shot. Us geezers get a bigger dose.