well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Do any of you have Gatsby aspirations?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any of you have Gatsby aspirations?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
Here's your house!

It has everything! Even a pool suitable for a wealthy but doomed playboy!

Dusty marble floors!

A ballroom suitable for drinking bathtub gin!

A beachfront gallery enclosed by many many-paned windows through which to view that d*mned green light as the boats are borne back ceaselessly into the past!

We should pool our money and establish the WTF retirement commune here.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No. Nope. No such aspirations ...

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That place has a lot of character. And what a view.

Price history is very odd indeed.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
$20K in taxes on a $600K house?

That's four times what one would pay here, and I thought our property taxes were high.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A glorious wreck! It was ugly when it was built and subsequent remodels made it worse.

And the property taxes! HairRaising

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It sold for nearly $2 million at the end of 2017, then seemed to go back on the market for a whole bunch less. Wonder if someone carved off a piece of the property to build something and put the original house back on the market....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The taxes on that house are 2X what they’d be here, and tax here is roughly 3X what I paid in CA.

One has to wonder what the local government is doing to justify that level of funding.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Where your taxes go in upstate NY

and ...

Yet more ...

When I lived in Hamilton NY, the plows came through at Midnight, at 2:00, at 4:00 and again at 6:00 so the roads were clear for the morning.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The lot to the east is vacant. Maybe it was carved off this one?

I'd imagine that waterfront property is worth a good bit.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
A glorious wreck!

Indeed!

Yikes, all the work that would be needed to make the house livable... At what point does it become cheaper to tear down and start over? I'm thinking this house is close to that point. But what do I know.

Separate from all of that, all my poking around on sites like Zillow means I get all kinds of ads pushed to me with old houses, Victorian houses, huge mansions. And then I get these emails "take the next step" on a 2.5 million dollar home.... Um, yeah... Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
That’s not upstate New York, it’s downstate…Long Island’s north shore.

They get snow, but it’s no comparison to upstate. So taxes are mostly going to other things.

Much of Long Island is higher-than-average income and cost of living. Very wealthy enclaves include the “Gold Coast” (not far from Shoreham, where this house is) and of course the Hamptons on the far East End.

This place is big, but it lacks the Versailles-like opulence of the mansions of the Gold Coast such as Glen Cove.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
$20K in taxes on a $600K house?

That's four times what one would pay here, and I thought our property taxes were high.

It's right on the water with what looks like a private beach, in a very tony area. The taxes are probably going up once the house is made livable.

It looks like it went through a hurricane.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
The property history is interesting..been on and off the market for years..then someone buys it for big buck in 2019..hmm..

And this.."Seller makes no guarantees about property's condition, room count or other physical characteristics nor does seller guarantee accuracy whether property is on public sewer or private septic. WTF

Given it is waterfront, thinking that might be a problem...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
In another lifetime, we lived in Little Neck, and had a friend who lived in Great Neck. Met her through Gymboree; we had kiddos the same age.

They lived above the carriage house (who has a carriage house?) on her in-laws’s estate in Great Neck. Even living over the carriage house, it was much grander than living in a little semi-detached row house in Little Neck.

The house in the original post isn’t grand enough. I want BRICK!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
The property history is interesting..been on and off the market for years..then someone buys it for big buck in 2019..hmm..

And this.."Seller makes no guarantees about property's condition, room count or other physical characteristics nor does seller guarantee accuracy whether property is on public sewer or private septic. WTF

Given it is waterfront, thinking that might be a problem...

It will probably be bought as a teardown. If I lived closer I'd be keeping an eye out to salvage one of those bathtubs.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post