well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    FB studying vaccine hesitancy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FB studying vaccine hesitancy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Scary on a number of levels.

quote:
Facebook is conducting a vast behind-the-scenes study of doubts expressed by U.S. users about vaccines, a major project that attempts to probe and teach software to identify the medical attitudes of millions of Americans, according to documents obtained by The Washington Post.

The research is a large-scale attempt to understand the spread of ideas that contribute to vaccine hesitancy, or the act of delaying or refusing a vaccine despite its availability, on social media – a primary source of health information for millions of people. It shows how the company is probing ever more nuanced realms of speech, and illustrates how weighing free speech versus potential for harm is more tenuous than ever for technology companies during a public health crisis.

https://www.seattletimes.com/n...acebook-study-finds/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this, I'll read it more closely later. But...

quote:
social media – a primary source of health information for millions of people.

Ugh. This is indeed scary!!

quote:
It shows how the company is probing ever more nuanced realms of speech, and illustrates how weighing free speech versus potential for harm is more tenuous than ever for technology companies during a public health crisis.

Also privacy... What's a reasonable expectation of privacy on FB if you're posting with settings at "friends only" as opposed to "public"? If this study were conducted at a university, I don't think the IRB would approve it...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18603 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Thanks for posting this, I'll read it more closely later. But...

quote:
social media – a primary source of health information for millions of people.

Ugh. This is indeed scary!!

I don't know. I suspect (based on nothing more than gut feeling) that many of those who get health information through social media would otherwise get no information at all, and on balance the information they get, though clearly wrong at times, is probably better than nothing.

On average, for most people, over time.

Posts: 45769 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post