well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Herring in sour cream
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herring in sour cream
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It’s hard to find. My parents used to get it at Christmas. Always liked it.

Lo and behold, it’s a thing in NE Ohio. I found a giant jar at BJs (like Costco without the crowds, Vita brand) at about half what I’m used to paying for it. I have to say it’s delicious with Canadian beefsteak tomatoes.

What’s the history of this stuff? Do you eat it? Do you like it?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You and mr wtg would get along famously; he loves herring in sour cream.

Our Costco has the big jars of Vita herring in wine sauce, which mr wtg also likes and buys all the time.

Herring was something we ate when I was growing up, a brand called Noon Hour. Lithuanians eat stuff like this. On the Baltic, ya know……a friend of the family used to love canned smoked sprats. Those were a bit much for me. I’m not a big fan of sardines, either, but mr wtg loves them smashed on a piece of Lithuanian rye bread.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan, personally. I'm now on the hunt for Canadian beefsteak tomatoes.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
My grandfather loved it. Along with borscht.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
It was a staple in our house, nuclear growing up and with my kids.

The trouble is the only kind I can get now (we're not in Jewish deli territory) at Wegman's is SWEET.

At least somewhat (and it lists sugar in the ingredients). NOT the same as the old stuff. (And definitely not KETO.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Ikea used to sell small jars of herring. They had three or four flavors - sour cream, vinegar and dill, something else. They weren't super cheap and I'd usually eat the whole jar in one or two sittings.

Costco has huge jars, but I think it's in white wine or something. It's more than I can eat before it goes bad, and no one else in the house would touch it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
My grandfather loved it. Along with borscht.
Did he have Селедка под шубой at New years/Christmas? I tried it for the first time when I was in Moscow at New Years about a decade ago.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Ikea used to sell small jars of herring. They had three or four flavors - sour cream, vinegar and dill, something else. They weren't super cheap and I'd usually eat the whole jar in one or two sittings.

Two more to add the IKEA offerings: onion and mustard sauce . We used to buy them all the time.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've never tried them.

How do you eat them, other than with tomatoes? Plain? On toast or crackers?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
How do you eat them

Mr wtg: With a fork.

Big Grin

Seriously, though....herring is often served with boiled potatoes or a slice of Lithuanian rye.

Not all herring is created equal. Some (like Vita) tend to be milder. I think a lot of the stronger flavor is in the skin, so herring prepared in a dish called rollmops tends to be a lot fishier tasting.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...lmops-recipe-1135632

My uncle loved rollmops herring, so my Mom always bought some for our Christmas Eve fish fest. None of the rest of us liked it much and as a result, he got to take home the leftovers.

Herring can also be pretty salty, so if you're watching your sodium intake, beware.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Sounds yummy!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I love that!!!

Now I want some.... Yummy

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We normally ate them on crackers. I’ve been using them in sandwiches.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’m with Mr wtg.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I’m with Mr wtg.

Me too.
I do use a fork. Eat them with something? Crackers might slow me down. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post