well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why are sharps easier than flats?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are sharps easier than flats?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Just, you know, for a change of pace?

I am currently playing scales at the beginning of every practice. I play all the major keys from Cmaj up to 5 sharps and skip the ones with 6 and 7 sharps because I'm a loser. Then I play all the major keys with flats from F up to 5 flats and skip the ones with 6 and 7 flats because I'm a loser.

I can go in reverse, starting at 5 sharps and work back down to Cmaj. But I get super tripped up if I start with 5 flats and work down.

And with regards to music, I am fine with a piece with pretty much any number of sharps, but with flats, it's always a little harder past 3 flats. I'm currently working on a piano-violin piece that has 5 flats, and it definitely took a little longer at the beginning to get it into my fingers. When I mentioned this to violin friend, she said she thinks flats are harder than sharps too.

Why is that? Do you experience it the same way?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Does it boil down to what you learned first?

So much of mastery of a musical instrument is a physical, athletic skill.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I prefer sharps unless it is a saxophone. WTF?
A poll and opinions

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Hm, interesting. I don't find flats harder than sharps; I might actually find them easier. Maybe. What I do find challenging is a piece of music with flats or sharps and tons of accidentals. (Debussy, hello! Just today I inquired about signing up for the next salon at which I might play the 4th prelude from book 1. For me the biggest challenge of that piece are the rather expanded chords of the last page.)

I also don't find the 6 & 7 sharps and flats all that much harder than 5. Maybe it was due to my early (heh, I was in my 30's!) training.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10574 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I like flats, myself.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Today I read a FB post quoting Chopin as favoring learning scales starting with the heavily flat keys. Makes sense...they're easier than starting with C major.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
All these because some one arbitrarily decided on the 7-white vs. 5-black keyboard layout that got adopted as standard as we know it today.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quoting Chopin as favoring learning scales starting with the heavily flat keys. Makes sense...they're easier than starting with C major.

Yep, I've read that too, and I believe there are a lot more teachers who take that approach nowadays. But whenever it was that I first practiced playing scales, I started with Cmaj.

So yeah, the muscle memory as per Horace's comment is probably a big element.

I keep thinking I should start my warm-up with the flats more often (and start at 5, or 7, and work backwards). But I want to get warmed up first, so I start with what's easiest. Which might make for a good warm up, but it doesn't seem to be making those scales in flatted keys come to me any easier.

It's interesting because I can play the scales and cadences for most of the sharped keys without looking, but I still actually read (or look at) the score for the flat keys and cadences.

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW this is the book I use:

The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences: Includes All the Major, Minor (Natural, Harmonic, Melodic) & Chromatic Scales

I don't know why but I love this book! I've worked with it off and on for years, and when I recently decided to put daily scales back into my routine, it was the book I looked for first. (Amazon reminds me that I bought it in 2010. Before that I practiced scales off and on from random sources, including the back of Hanon...)

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I find flats to be somewhat easier. My hypothesis is that, when you are learning to read key signatures, the first 4 flats are BEAD, so it's a nice mnemonic.

I struggle with 3 accidentals (A maj, Eb maj) for some reason. I think I can remember 2, and after 3 there are more accidentals than naturals. Those 3-accidental keys really trip me up. suave

And I do not like playing pieces in C major. No anchors.

Shiro--a classic book! I have the same one, only it's about (gasp) 50 years old. It still has that "new book smell." Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My hypothesis is that, when you are learning to read key signatures, the first 4 flats are BEAD, so it's a nice mnemonic.

I know there are lots of piano teachers now who say it's not good to use these kinds of hints (and the EveryGoodBoyDoesFine mnemonic for the staff). But I learned them, EGBDF, and the ones for sharps and flats:
Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle
and
Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles's Father

I learned these a bazillion years ago, and they still pop up in my head all the time. I do now often just recall F-C-G-D-A or BEADG instead of the whole story, but I don't see the harm in these mnemonics.

Of course, I am very much a score-reader (rather than playing by ear, or even rather than memorizing a score as part of the learning process). And I can read along at a reasonable pace, so those mnemonics are not getting in my way (which I guess is the concern some teachers express)

quote:
It still has that "new book smell."

That means you're not using it enough! Go practice! Ole

Keyboard Jam

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I don't see the harm in these mnemonics.

I don't either. Not everyone learns the same way, so if this way worked for you that's great, imo. I learned multiplication tables by rote when I was in early grade school. It helped me tremendously in math thereafter.

Posts: 10574 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I learned multiplication tables by rote when I was in early grade school.

That's a great comparison!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
To read, I am more comfortable with flats. Hated learning the Black Key Etude in HS and that tainted me I think!

To play / learn scales, using the 5 black keys are easiest to play because they fit the hand and our short thumb!

First ones I teach!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
All these because some one arbitrarily decided on the 7-white vs. 5-black keyboard layout that got adopted as standard as we know it today.

I'm curious why you think it's arbitrary, and how you would lay it out differently?

To me it appears that the group of 2 black keys and the group of 3 black keys logically correspond to the WWHWWWH steps of the diatonic scale.