well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It got me
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It got me
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It is not nearly as effective as Paxlovid. I think that's why it's almost gone away.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Jon, that’s wild! During the time that you had the positive tests, were you staying home or did you go back to business as usual? I assume there’s some protocol but I have no idea what it is.

My diagnosis in the hospital came from a positive PCR test. It was followed almost immediately by a negative Antigen test. However, the hospital's protocol at that time required me to be isolated for 10 days following the positive PCR test, which is what occurred. When I discussed these tests with the infectious disease doctor, he said that a PCR test could be positive as much as two months after an active infection and the antigen test strongly indicated I was not infectious at that point. However, that was not sufficient to release me from the 10 day isolation.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So just to add to the pool of COVID info in case anyone else gets this variant…

Hubby looked awful around 5am and had such extreme fatigue that he almost couldn’t stand up from a chair. Temp was 101.8.

I called our PCP’s office to see about whether we had to come in or could do online. We set up a telehealth appt for noon. By the time we got the doc online, Mr wtg’s temp was down to 99 and he was looking about 90% back to normal as he scrounged around the kitchen for lunch. He had no appetite when he got up this morning. Other vitals normal. Doc went over everything, including the sudden improvement and also possible side effects of Paxlovid. Checked recent kidney function results, which are normal (need to know when prescribing Paxlovid).

His assessment was that as long as things stayed stable, he didn’t see any reason to prescribe an antiviral. He recommended vitamins C and D, which Mr wtg already takes. Analgesic if temp bumps up. Mucinex DM for cough if needed. And if things get worse we still have a window to do the Paxlovid. He thinks the viral load might have peaked and be going down on its own.

Given Mr wtg’s situation (elevated BMI, age, cancer) I thought that Paxlovid was almost a given.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
He thinks the viral load might have peaked and be going down on its own.

That would be great! Hopefully this continues and he continues to feel better tonight and onward!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, how you and Mr. WTG doing today?

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I continue to improve and Mr wtg is in mid-misery. Good thing we didn't get sick simultaneously. He was still OK when I first got sick, so he took care of me. Now he's sick but I'm well enough to look after him. It'll all be fine!

And thanks for your concern. It really does mean a lot to know folks are looking out for you!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good thing we didn't get sick simultaneously.

Indeed!! Hopefully his symptoms resolve quickly!!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad to hear it isn't getting worse for Mr WTG - and you're improving every day!

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Feel better!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, how are you and Mr. WTG doing today?

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Hope it’s a mild case.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17681 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My case wasn't too bad, really felt like a cold. OTOH, Mr wtg was really, really miserable, especially at night, with a very sore throat and a cough. High fever (103) at least one night. Poor pup, he wasn't critically ill but he was miserable for probably four days. Lost 15 pounds. Cold meds not particularly helpful.

The night when Mr wtg's fever spiked, he was coughing uncontrollably, and when his throat was so sore he could barely swallow, I thought about jodi and mr jodi. I remember when they were among the first people in the country who got sick with COVID, when we didn't know what it was and people were dropping like flies. There's an expression in Lithuanian, "the night has big eyes". Really hit home when you're caring for someone who is so terribly miserable. There's not much you can do except to wait for it to pass.

Glad were almost recovered. This virus is the pits.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This virus is the pits.

Oh my gosh, it sounds like Mr. WTG especially had an awful time! I'm relieved you're both on the mend!!

Also, very sorry to hear about all the trouble Mr. WTG had with the different medicines! What a mess!

Well, if there's a silver lining, hopefully it is that you'll both now have some immunity?

I was just reading those links you posted from "your local epidemiologist" and there's lots to think about re vaccines. But you and Mr. WTG won't have to think about that for a little while at least, not the covid one anyway.