well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It got me
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It got me
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Went to a busy burrito place for lunch.
We will be masking henceforth.
At least that is the plan.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25736 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
All we have now are hospitalization data.

Some places are still tracking wastewater, actually maybe a fair amount of places, but the data can be hard to track down. I saw some the other day (not sure where now) and it showed a definite uptick.

quote:
On the plus side, I haven't heard any stories of friends and acquaintances with serious disease. Since most of my friends are now older, that's a good sign.

Yes, this is definitely a good sign. I'm still going to try to avoid it as long as possible, but also try not to panic when the inevitable happens.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18613 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I hope you get better quickly and have a super mild case. I was listening to something on the radio on Friday (probably NPR) about a new surge in COVID cases... nothing like previous years, but still a big surge.

Posts: 35385 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
It is puzzling indeed!

quote:
I always thought you had to have a period of exposure, at least 10 or 15 minutes in close proximity to someone who is infected.

That's been my understanding as well. Maybe this new variant is that much more infectious, such that the needed time is shrunk?

In any case, I'm glad your case seems to be mild and hopefully it will stay that way!!

The guideline is you need 15 minutes *cumulative* exposure over a period of 24 hours.

So if you spent 6 minutes talking to your neighbor and they were closer than 6 feet away from you, then you spent 2 minutes next to an infected person at the supermarket, then another 5 minutes.... you get the idea.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I hope you get well soon!

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
How are you feeling today, WTG?

Posts: 18613 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Low grade fever bouncing around a bit. Runny nose and occasional cough with mild muscle aches and pains. I've been checking O2 with a pulse oximeter and that seems to be fine.

It feels very upper respiratory. If I hadn't tested positive for COVID I would have said I have a cold.

Thanks for asking!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38014 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, thanks for the update! Glad you're not any worse, but hope it all resolves quickly!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I'm feeling better because it looks like Mr wtg is likely to get it. He was super tired yesterday and is getting a sore throat and neck pain this afternoon. All the same symptoms as I had. Still testing negative but he's crashing hard and fast. I know he needs a positive COVID test in order to get Paxlovid. I think he may need it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38014 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Thinking healing thoughts for Mr WTG.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Hope you are both on the mend quickly!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
My symptoms were all but gone after two days of antiviral drug, but the damn positive test lingered on for 20 days.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33807 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, oh no! I hope Mr. WTG doesn’t get any worse than you did!

Jon, that’s wild! During the time that you had the positive tests, were you staying home or did you go back to business as usual? I assume there’s some protocol but I have no idea what it is.

BTW did you take paxlovid or is there another antiviral available now?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are two antivirals, Paxlovid and Lageviro. Paxlovid is the one that's almost always prescribed. Out of dozens of friends who have taken an antiviral, I only know one person who took Lageviro.

It's also worth noting that doctors aren't throwing Paxlovid at people just because they test positive and are over 65; they save it for people who are higher risk. A number of my over 65 friends had their doctors tell them they didn't really need it as their cases were quite mild and they were otherwise healthy. But their spouses (same age) were prescribed it because of other conditions such as diabetes. It reduces viral load and hopefully prevents bigger problems from developing as a result of the infection.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lageviro

I have not even heard about this one. I wonder if it's any better at the paxlovid rebound issue.