well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wine question for Mik

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine question for Mik
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Hey Mik, a local store has Estancia 2017 Paso Robles Cabernet for $30, marked down from $40.

Thing is, it is a BOX wine, 3 liters. I know box wine usually sucks. But the Paso Robles appellation and 2017 date made me think it may be better than average.

What do you think?

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13838 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Estancia has been a good value for a long time - decades. Well made wine at an attractive price point, not like most jammy commercial plonk at that price point. Same folks who make Franciscan. In a box can only make it better.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13587 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mik, I'll pick it up!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13838 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I think you will like it. It may not knock your socks off but it is very good table wine at a good price.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Hi, Mik, tried it last night and tonight. It's pretty nice! AS you say, doesn't knock one's socks off, but so much better for a daily glass than so many others. I'll probably go back and get another box to have in reserve.

Thanks!

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it. I find I often don't want a glass of wine to examine as in a tasting, just a glass to wash dinner down with or enjoy while cooking.

I looked for it last night at the store but they did not have it. Box wine is very good for moderation.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Estancia has been a good value for a long time - decades.

He's telling the truth about the decades.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38037 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
But of course!

Seriously, I first started drinking Estancia around 1985. It has been consistently good.

By the way, Binny's spring sale is on and it is a killer if you want to save money. I just bought three cases of Franciscan Chard for $7.99 a bottle - normally $12.99. MFR likes it. Bought a case of that Bordeaux too.