well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The waning days of coding

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The waning days of coding
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A Coder Considers the Waning Days of the Craft

Coding has always felt to me like an endlessly deep and rich domain. Now I find myself wanting to write a eulogy for it.

https://www.newyorker.com/maga...ng-days-of-the-craft

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I guess this is supposed to have a hopeful ending, but I found it somewhat depressing...

I've been thinking too much about generative AI these days I think. Among other things, this semester, I participated in a roundtable on creativity in the age of AI, and I guided one of my classes through an AI activity where they gave it prompts based on our class content and evaluated the results....

At this point, my conclusion is that humans are ahead ... for now, but not for long...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18610 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: I haven't read the complete article but...

To me, the interesting thing about coding is the logic, and the part about having to translate that logic into the byzantine syntax of the language du jour is the least interesting, and most frustrating, part of the job.

Yes, I routinely look up syntax on Google. I haven't tried asking chatGPT to write it for me, but only because I haven't thought about it yet. But if ChatGPT can correctly write code (or even a shell) for a multiply-nested do loop, I'm all in.

Nina (who has spent hours finding that elusive missing parenthesis in a string of code)

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Writing out knitting patterns feels like coding to me. I like how logical it is. But I much prefer plugging symbols into a chart and letting my charting software spit out the written directions.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Will AI code future AI? Big Grin

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post