well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Privacy fence or trees?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Privacy fence or trees?
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i'd like to reiterate that, in my experience, your best resource is your local ag extension agent. They can tell you which plants will work best in your location for your purposes, advise on how and when to plant, and will have free handouts for all kinds of things you may want to do with your yard.

if you end up having the time and desire, their certified master gardener program could be very worthwhile. I did it in the 90s and actually did some professional work as a landscape designer for a while after. The certification is free if you volunteer some time at the extension office, or a small nominal fee if you don't have time for that. More than one classmate in the program went on to start a garden-related business.

I still use my master gardener reference materials all the time.

you may want to get some good basic garden books as well. an excellent all-arounder is the Reader's Digest guide to Gardening. Basic and easy to understand, and reliable advice.

Take your time, since you plan to be there for a while. Go for what you really love and what will give you pleasure. I personally would not choose something just because it is fast-growing unless I also really love the plant.

Some of the quick growing hedges that people out here go for are arctic willow and cotoneaster. If you go for a native shrub, it's possible your local department of environmental quality will have decent sized starts you can buy in bulk very inexpensively. Retail garden centers are going to be the most expensive source. You can also do mail order from a reputable company and save some money.

also, as you get to know people in your community, you may connect with other gardeners who are willing to give you starts divided from their own shrubs. I have an amazing shrub rose that was gifted to me when I bought my first house, and I brought starts from it to our current house, where it is thriving.

I bet you can find local gardening groups on FB who will help guide you. I have another fabulous yellow rambler I got from someone on a group like this. Free for the digging.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21349 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i'm very partial to native shrubs. you could go hiking in the area and see what natives grow in your area and incorporate them into your landscape plan. For example, mountain laurel, which has lovely pink flowers, may do well in your area. I would rather grow that than, say, an azaelia.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21349 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I see your town has several arboretums including one at what I believe to be your school.

Maybe wander over there some time to see what they’re doing. With any luck you’ll find an enterprising student who will help you around the place. Who knows - landscaping your grounds could be someone’s senior project!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34941 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
native shrubs.

Yep, for a whole bunch of reasons!

Although, don't diss the azaleas! I'm pretty sure some variants are native to various places in the US.... aren't they???

Steve, there's an "arboretum" right by my building, but it's kind of sparse IMO. WhoMe

All the trees are labeled though, which is nice. I'll have to look again now that I have some specific interests!

So, how hard (and expensive) is it to relocate a mid-sized tree? There's a young-ish tree right in the middle of the front yard, in the exact spot where I had a tree removed from our old house (although that tree was a menace and imminent danger).

I would never put a tree in that spot, I'm wondering if I could have it repositioned.

It's probably not young enough though.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18463 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW there's also a beautiful pink dogwood off to the side in the front yard. That makes me very happy! We had white ones at our old house. They were too close to the house and also always looked sort of green-ish white, I always wanted a pink one.

Oh another nice thing about the new house is that there aren't any dangerous trees or trees planted too close to the house. I spent so much money on tree removal at the old house!

Posts: 18463 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Had some trees moved from a nearby forest when I built my house in Missouri.
The tree movers said that trees over 6 inches in diameter did not survive moving well.
Lilacs and Arbor Vitae pollen is an allergen, not as bad as juniper, but not good.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25703 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tree movers said that trees over 6 inches in diameter did not survive moving well.

Oh, that's good to know.

quote:
Lilacs and Arbor Vitae pollen is an allergen, not as bad as juniper, but not good.

Oh no!!! I never thought of that!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Always figured Junipers were pretty benign.

What plants are recommended for those suffering from allergies?

Posts: 34941 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
SK, the arboretum may be small but I’ll bet there are a lot of people in that department, students and faculty, who would love to talk about your landscape. Perhaps to excess, but they might make great friends.

Your new digs may well become the social and intellectual locus of the the entire campus. Lord knows you have the room.

Put out some wine and cheese and the occasional Japanese tidbit and invite them over and see what they say.

With any luck a few of them will play nice pieces on your piano.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your new digs may well become the social and intellectual locus of the the entire campus. Lord knows you have the room.

Put out some wine and cheese and the occasional Japanese tidbit and invite them over and see what they say.

With any luck a few of them will play nice pieces on your piano.

Sounds wonderful! Smiler